How did you teach your child manners?

Im not asking for my self, Im just wanting to see how many other moms out there have taught their children manners.

For me it was simple. John heard the hubby & I, we always say thank you, or no thank you, instead of saying move, we say excuse me, ect ect ect...... One day John picked up on it.... Since we use them at home, I very rarely in public have to remind John to use his manners....

But a few parents in public asked me how I taught my child manners, I didn't want to be rude & say well if you have them, & use them ALL The time, your child would too.... because i know sometimes that isn't the case,

So how do (did) you teach manners?

lilmoosesmom

Asked by lilmoosesmom at 8:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• It's not really something we "taught" just how we acted and they caught on. When they went through their bossy phases, I wouldn't get them what they asked for until they said please and then thank you before I handed it to them. Rudeness was ignored.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:30 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• by example
    my three year old has very little speech (autism)
    but she does say thank you and you're welcome
    sometimes together-but she still says them

i also have two older step children
    and i "rat them out" for good things as well as bad to their father when he gets home
    they like getting ratted out for good stuff
    i make sure to tell father in front of the kids
    i LOVE to watch them sweat when i say to dad, "I have to rat them out" and then i say something good
    the look on their faces when they go back over the day to see where they screwed up is priceless!!
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It is a process that is ongoing. For us, we do the same as you, we model our behaviors. Children don't always get "taught" they get "caught." Which means good manners are catchable. Great Job Mom! You are throwing them out there for your child to catch. Like a cold...easy to get. At least when the manners virus is rampid in your house :) We do a lot of role playing too. When our son makes a poor choice, and every child does, we will reherse with him what to do the next time. Crazy skits difuse a tense situation when I really want to just say, "What the heck was up with that?! All I can say is every day is a learning moment. For him and us. I have been known to say I'm sorry to him when I recognize I could have handled a situation better. What that translates to: he learns that adults make mistakes as well as kids and they too have to solve those poor choices.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The same way you did...LOL Showed him and at first reminded him, but, by 18 months..he pretty much had it down. Even when he Trick or Treated at 19 months, he said thank you everytime he got candy. It was cute.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I was going to say by showing them at home and in public all the time. The best way to teach something like that is by example.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• ..please and thank you since he was picking stuff up. now table manners i would always make him sit in his high chair..if he threw something he got told no, if he threw it again..he didnt get it back and was removed from his chair. (things like snacks)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• By example & lots of practice!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thru my own actions and subtle reminders
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Your children do and say what they see at home. If you are polite and use manners so will you children. I myself would rather someone say that I am overprotective of my kids by making them stay near me, teaching them not to interrupt when people are talking, and using words like please and thank you than to say my kids are wild and unruley.
    brooke31882

Answer by brooke31882 at 8:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The same way you did. I just made sure to use manners and would tell Kyra why. I never have to get onto her for being rude. With the exception of when someone else is rude when she tells them, politely, "you need to learn your maners". Like pp said, she'd even tell everyone "thank you, Happy Halloween" when she got candy.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 8:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2010