I am having my daughter tested through school for dyslexia and they are giving me the run around.. Any suggestions?

I have 6 year old twin girls. The oldest does really good in school but the youngest has had alot of trouble. The teacher last year told me that she should grow out of mixing up her b's and d's, writing her 7,9,5,2,6's backwards but she hasn't. I know those are signs of dyslexia and her pediatrician recommended having the school test her for dyslexia. It could take up to 90 days to get the results though. I try to help her as much as I can at home but the teacher half way corrects her. Any advice?

brooke31882

Asked by brooke31882 at 8:11 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• not sure, may be they aren't anxious to immediately diagnose with that until they've fully tested every possibility first.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 90 days does seem like a long time. Ask why it takes that long & what can help speed things along. If you dont get the answers or services you want for your child, become a royal pain in their butts! Go to the principal, then to the administration/school board if necessary. The sqeaky wheel really does get greased!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Could you contact the Superintendent?

Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 8:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Her pediatrician told me that they have to test her by law. Our school where I live just started a few weeks ago, but I know they can test her. I just can't get her the help she needs until I have the results and take her back to her dr for him to review them. What upset me was that she brought home a spelling test from Monday and she had spelled nose with a backwards s. The teacher wrote a note saying she would let her slide this time, as I looked down the test I saw that she had also put a backwards z in the word blaze. I wrote the teacher a note saying she to needs to look closer at the work to see all she is messing up on. Instead of letting my daughter by with it I think they need to spend a little extra time helping her and to show her the right way like I do at home. It only takes a moment.
    brooke31882

Comment by brooke31882 (original poster) at 8:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That does seem like a long time to get testing back.

I am a teacher (SAHM for the time being for baby :) BUt I can tell you that the numbers you listed are VERY common to mix up. My son is VERY smart. I think possibly even gifted and still mixes them up every once in a while. He is 7.

I would request more than just dyslexia testing. I would want a full range of testing to see if there is another issue going on.

How does she do otherwise at school....does she struggle with memorization or reading?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The secretary of the school was to contact me back Monday evening and I still have not heard from her. I am going up there again today to speak with the principal again to see what is going to be done. If he will not do anything than the school board is my next step.
    brooke31882

Comment by brooke31882 (original poster) at 8:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Check your states policy on Special Education and a 504 plan. Most states have a maximum of 30 day turn around time for a decision. If your child has a learning disability she qualifies for the 504 plan. This is NOT Special Education. It allows for modifications within the classroom and is a contract between the school and the family. My DS has one for ADHD. It allows him extra time on written tests and the teachers give him pre-made notes instead of him trying to copy from the overhead. I hope this helps you. The sooner the school gets started the better. You can also try Sylvan Learning Center. It cost a pretty penny for an evaluation, but they really helped us out as a third party opinion.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 8:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I will let you in on an inside school secret. School systems are terrified of any special needs case....why? B/c law requires them to accomidate the student in ANY way they need, which means more cost and the law will support it.

So you can DEMAND ANYTHING YOU WANT and they HAVE to give it to you.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:24 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• She has alot of trouble reading and spelling. She puts letters in that aren't even there and she also has a hard time concentrating. I want her tested for everything also. She has a hard time with math to.
    brooke31882

Comment by brooke31882 (original poster) at 8:24 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Did you put your request in writing? They HAVE to respond to any request if it is writing. Don't just go in and ask, don't just ask the teacher to ask, you put your request in writing.

Although honestly, turning letters and numbers around at 6 is not that unusual for children without dyslexia. My daughter didn't/doesn't have dyslexia and would turn things around until between 2nd and 3rd grade. She was also tested in 3rd grade for any learning disabilities and was found to have one in written expression (has nothing to do with turning letters/numbers).
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2010