how to get a 2 year old to bush his teeth

it is a constant battle between my son and I over teeth brushing. I all but have to pin him down so I can do it. There must be an easier way. I have tried both of us brushing our teeth together, I have tried bribes. I have tried begging, and letting him brush my teeth and his teeth first. Nothing works. I hate all the screaming all the time

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 8:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i wouldn't bother that young. I couldn't get mine to do it until about 4-5 and even then I had to help him with it cuz he wouldn't do that great a job.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:18 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• have you taken him to the store to let him pick out what kind of cool tooth bursh and tooth paste he would like? Then tell him when he gets home he can brush his teeth with it. make it exciting instead of something he has to do.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• ...get him a little step stool that is only to be used for teeth brushing =)
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 8:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• what worked for me was getting my kids the character toothpaste. My son picked out Spongebob, my daughter picked out Dora. They are 4&3 now, and we just use any toothpaste now, currently it's the strawberry colgate with mouthwash in it for kids
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Sorry you're having problems, but it IS important to brush his teeth, even at this young age. Not only to prevent his baby teeth from decaying, but also to help establish good dental hygiene habits. So if nothing works, just grin and bear the screaming and do it anyway. My kids never screamed about it, but they did wiggle around some. I used to just make up funny songs and sing to entertain them while I brushed. It worked pretty well for us. Good luck!
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 8:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have the same problem with my daughter. But I notice that when I brush my teeth at the same time she's more likely to let me brush hers for a short period of time.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Sometimes you just have to do it any way you can. Some nights it's a huge challenge getting my toddlers teeth brushed and other nights he will let me do it. Then there are the nights he tries to do it, the nights he decides it will be fun to chomp down on the toothbrush and see if mama can get it back... you get the idea. It's rarely easy but it must be done. You might try an electric toothbrush, our son's pedi recommended trying that but I haven't gotten one yet. Good Luck.
    Krys.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 2:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010