Is riding my bike for a 1/2 hr and going to the gym for an hour a day enough

at the gym I pretty much do weight training
I know some people work out a few hours, but I heard that wasn't really necessary or always advisable.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 8:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• I ride my bike for 30 minutes a day and that's it. LOL
    If you work out an hour a day that's great. It's not to much.
    What really matters is what you are trying to accomplish.
    If you want to be healthy tha'ts more than enough. If you want to lose weight
    you might want to do a bit more.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You are doing plenty! Congrats, that is a great workout!
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Great Job!!!
    I always thought 30 mins. of a workout is good but once you begin you want to do more...lol
    my dh and I go walking everyday for 2 miles I guess that is good enough but we too need to start lifting weights ;)
    keep up the good work ;)
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 8:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• As long as you are actually exercising (it's amazing to watch the sheer number of people who 'go through the motions' at the gym without breaking a sweat), you're doing plenty.

I assume you know about a rest day between weight workouts for each body part (like arms/shoulders Tues and Thurs, rather than every day), and that you're progressively lifting enough more to continue to gain strength and muscle mass? If you use heavy enough weight, you can probably shorten the time in the gym...especially since you're there every day.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• honestly- biking 2-3 miles isn't going to do much as far as calorie burning cardio. Biking isn't like running. My last bike ride was 15 miles. I did it because I have a road bike which enables me to go faster and longer. Thats how those people that you know can go so far. You can do it to- with the right bike. So a mile takes me about 4 mins. Biking is a great, fun cardio exercise (I burned 700cals last ride) if you want to get serious about it I would go to your local bike shop and talk to them.
    natural.mama

Answer by natural.mama at 9:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I bike about 2-3 very hilly miles and it just wears me out. I know people who do 10 miles a pop, but I don't see how...not with all these hills around here. They aren't big on bike trails and such where I live, so I either just have to ride around my neighbor hood (which gets boring), contend with traffic passing me (which is less than relaxing), or put my bike in the car and drive a 1/2 hour to a State Park and that's just a pain to go thru.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• "I ride my bike for 30 minutes a day and that's it. LOL
    you might want to do a bit more."

My goal is to be healthy and fit enough to be able to keep up with and handle two Sp Needs tween boys. I don't need to be buff, but I would like some tone, cuz I think I look good sculpted, but I don't wanna have to maintain a muscley body, just toned is good enough.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 9:01 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I know. Using a mtn bike (which is slightly heavier) to ride on roads is probly going to be harder to do, but I can't see the difference being your can ride 12 more miles of hilly terrain, in fact I'd think the Mtn Bike ideal for hills. Its gotta be doing something. Its better than sitting on my duff drinking coffee and playing on my laptop.
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 10:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010