OMG!?? My son HAS..

My son has been complaining about his stomach hurting and has been itching his bum for a couple days.. lastnight i happen to look in the toilet and low and behold he has PINWORMS UGH!! I have no clue how he got them .. Im a stay at home mom and my apt.. is clean. it actually was just built so everything is new.. Im freaking out and overwhelmed because ive been doing some reading and not only do i have to get him in to the doctors today but i have to wash all his toys.. clothes, bed sheets, ect. Im thinking his toys alone will take me months.. Im going to go crazy! This ever happen to anyone? MY son is 3

Proudparent707

Asked by Proudparent707 at 8:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Kids get pinworms. I understood you can get them from picking your nose them immediatley scratching your bottom. I don't think it has anything to do with you're house being dirty.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 8:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, you don't need to worry, it happens to the best of us. Pinworms have nothing to do with your house being clean, he probably picked them up out in public. They are easily transferred from one child to the next. A kid scratches his/her butt, gets the eggs/worms under their nails and then touches a shopping cart, door, etc... that your child ends up touching, then your child puts his hands in his mouth. No need to go to the Dr, go to a drug store and get pin worm medication, your Dr won't tell you anything different. Just make sure he keeps his hands clean and sounds like you are already cleaning his stuff so you are good to go:)
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• They're soil borne... so he probably got them from a dog, a cat or digging in the dirt. Yes, they're gross... but they're also probably ubiquitous: most kids probably get them and it's probably actually good for their immune system (theory goes: that's why kids who aren't allowed to get dirty end up allergic to half the universe)...

You don't have to go to the doctor, a pharmacy will have the treatment for sale over the counter.

You don't have to clean his toys.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• They're actually very easily passed among children on objects, doesn't matter clean or unclean your house or the people are. It's just one of those things. He needs to be washing his hands and under his fingernails frequently, and you should be able to just spray his toys with some lysol spray and just wash his underpants and sheets on hot. That should be good enough, I havent' had to deal with it but I remember having it as a kid, and we just covered that in our pediatrics nursing class. Good luck! Oh and the doc will put him on an medicine, but it's really not anything to freak too badly about.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The medication is called Reese's Pinworm Medication and pretty sure we bought it at Walgreens. It is only one dose and usually everyone in the house takes that one dose.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thanks... i felt like an idiot calling the nurses line at midnight hahaha lol
    Proudparent707

Comment by Proudparent707 (original poster) at 8:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i was alos going to add probabl maybe from a sand box?
    miritrose

Answer by miritrose at 9:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thank you ladies for easing my mind a little...
    Proudparent707

Comment by Proudparent707 (original poster) at 9:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010