Can the body get back into the groove of working out?

LOL... the reason I ask I have been walking for 3 months now and have seen a difference but I remember in 1996 I used to jog 4 miles in 15 mins. I loved it but now almost 15 years later since I started walking I want to jog again but when I try I feel my body hard to pick up the pace I can't seem to pounce like I'd like. Is it a mind thing or can I really start it up again...lol I just get tired faster too ( I know it's old age right?...lol ) Thanks Ladies!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Health

• Of course you can do it again! It won't happen over night though, you need to work up to it. When you go on your walk start running a little, don't try to run the whole way. Then next time, try to run a little longer.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 8:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It's not old age, it's out of shape. Yes, you can get back into shape, but it will take time -and effort. One of the fastest and easiest ways to increase speed and strength quickly is to add wind sprints to your walks...

Pick a landmark... the next driveway, a lamp post, a parked car, and from here until there walk as fast as you can --really rush it. For less than half a minute, to start. When you get to the landmark, go back to your normal pace. In two or three minutes, when your heartrate and breathing are back to normal, do it again. You probably can only manage to do three or four the first day, and may need to shorten your walk to avoid exhaustion for the first week... but if you keep doing that for a few weeks, you'll see your fitness level improving quickly --you may be able to jog for a couple of minutes, then walk, then job, eventually working up to only jogging in 6 or 8 weeks.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 9:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You can do it. Just start slow and don't push yourself to do something your body isn't ready to do. As we get older our body's "break" more easily than they did when we were young. You will start pulling muscles you never knew you had. LOL
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• what the other mommas said!
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 9:08 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yup, I did. You just gotta make yourself do it. Find something fun. Mine was biking and feeling the cool morning air and watching the sun rise. It was a nice escape from the constant chaos at home. Thats another way to get into it, find something that motivates you (like getting away from the chaos and having some time for you).
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Four miles in fifteen minutes? That's faster than a four-minute mile. You'd have to be an Olympian to log that kind of time.
    hepmommy

Answer by hepmommy at 9:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, your body will get in a groove, but it has been 14 years since your last good pace, keep that in mind. Just stick with it.
    sokkamum

Answer by sokkamum at 11:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2010