How can I help my daughter learn that it's not ok to spit?

She's 8 months and recently learned how to stick her tongue out and spit. It was cute for about a day or two. Now she does it every time she eats. I give her a bite, and she spits it in my face. I tried telling her NO, she laughs. I tried putting my finger over her mouth and telling her NO, and she gets upset then laughs. I tried haulting the meal and letting her calm down, but as soon as I start to feed her again, she starts doing it. Any suggestions??

briezysmommy

Asked by briezysmommy at 11:42 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Take a wash rag and keep it by the table. Everytime she spits, quickly wipe her face with the dry cloth and say "messy", EVERYTIME!! She will eventually not want you sticking the wash rag in her face and stop! it only takes a week or so, then as a routine, keep the rag on the table while you eat so she sees it.
    Once they get bigger, say 2 or 3, I make mine stand at the sink and spit for 2 minutes. They hate it. It's like a spitting time out and they get soooo tired of spitting. This also only took a week to break them of the habit!
    son_and_moon

Answer by son_and_moon at 11:55 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Mine is the same age and does the same thing. She doesn't do it though when she's eating. Mine coughs it all out everywhere!!! I don't think there's a way to actually get them to quit. Just be patient. Good Luck!
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:47 AM on Oct. 9, 2008