Why are we (as women) so worried about how the media says we should look?

Who really wants to be a toothpick?
My DH told me, "yeah the skinny girls are hot, sure, but that isn't the ONLY look thats hot, its just the one the media shoves down your throat." He think most women are attractive in some way or another and they aren't always real skinny. There's plenty of women with curves that look good and wear their weight quite well and have no problems turning heads.

So who cares what a buncha strangers in the media whom we'll never meet and have no role in our lives think? Its about self image, even when the DH tells you your sexy and flirts constantly, you still have doubts.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 9:09 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• My husband always says "Dogs like bones, men like meat." LOL I've never been below a size 8 and I don't feel bad about myself. I'm healthy and I'm curvy and I'm happy with that LOL
    BlueCollarMama

Answer by BlueCollarMama at 9:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Are we? I really think tha'ts on the way out. Many more people feel that is bull now days.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:12 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? I am concerned about being healthy. Not about being something or someone other myself. As a mother of two girls it is my responsibility to raise strong confident independent thinkers. Women who are constantly getting plastic sugery, vocalizing how thin they wish they were(in comparison to celebs) etc... Those women as parents are showing their children it's ok to strive to be someone other "yourself". Those women have let the media and outsiders win and dictate the definition of pretty. Young children need stronger role models who aren't concerned with "image" , the media, etc.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have no desire to be toothpick thin. Would I like to be thinner than I already am? Yes, but I want to be a healthy weight with toned muscles. I think I use to want to achieve the un-achievable when I was younger, but the older I get the more I say... EFF that, I am my own person and don't give a crap what the media thinks is desirable, they are all a bunch of idiots anyway. lol

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:13 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm not worried about that, and I don't know anybody who is worried about that.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I am not concerned with what the media says, but you could go deeper into that thought and see that it's everywhere. Magazines, TV, Movies, even clothing designers. The same number size of two different designers can fit completely different. I think it all depends on what demographic you are playing to in some areas of media, of course.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:27 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I only know a few, less than a handful, of women who actually want to be thin with no concern about their health. Basically every other woman I've talked to just want to be healthy, no matter what that size may be to them. I think we're constantly told that we want to be thin, but is that really true? The magazines, tv shows, everything, tell us how much we want to be thin, but in reality I just want to be healthy.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 10:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Based on how fat the US is, i think that's kind of an old wives tale.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 10:07 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• "old wives" indeed ;) lol
    Zoeyis

Comment by Zoeyis (original poster) at 10:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• DH likes curvier women. I know he's not just saying this, because he tries to sabotage every diet I go on.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2010