how much does your 1 mo old weigh?

My 5 week old baby boy weighs 10lbs as of yesterday. He was born at 7. I'm happy that he's growing good and all, but is that a good weight gain? Everyone is telling me that he's chubby already and I'm afraid of having a fat baby. I'm exclusively breastfeeding. Maybe he just has a lot of growing to do? Or is it my diet that is too fatty? I'm concerned..

walkintherain

Asked by walkintherain at 9:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not your diet. Your baby should gain 4-7 ounces a week the first 6 mo. He is gaining a little fast. Try using only one breast a feeding. What can happen is babies can over eat because they don't get to the high fat milk from the first breast that should make them feel full. It's called finish the first breast first. You can have an overweight breastfed baby. We used to say breastfed babies come in all sizes. We are now more aware of the consequences of babies being overweight and that it can cause lifelong problems. Congrats on breastfeeding.

http://www.kellymom.com/ is a great breastfeeding web site.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:15 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My 7 week old was 9 lbs 1 oz at 1 month. She was 7 lbs 12 oz at birth. She also is breastfed.

Answer by missanc at 10:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son was 9lb 14oz at a month.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2010