Ha anyone heard the term "stripping membranes" or actually had it done to them?

So the question is about my sister in law to be. She is 37 weeks pregnant and she told our family yesterday that her doctor is planning to "strip her membranes" this thursday. Now I have had three children who are now 4, 3 and 1 and no doctor has ever used this term with me.
This procedure is supposed to seperate the uterus from the placenta to prevent her from being pregnant past her due date, but I have never heard of this let alone had it done. And two of my children I went to 41 weeks. This sounds concerning to me and my family... is this normal or common?

misanchez

Asked by misanchez at 10:52 AM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Don't do it!! There is no medical reason why it would be necessary. Doctors do this to induce labor. IMO, from what I've learned, it's far from being the best thing for the baby.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 10:57 AM on Jun. 30, 2008

• There are no benefits for this other than induction and it leaves both mom and baby open for infection if she doesn't deliver within a few days. If the doctor is that concerened he/she could apply progesterone gel to the cervix without the chance of negative side effects.
    tnsteph5

Answer by tnsteph5 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I had this done with my first. I did not have any problem and went into labor the very next day. From the experience I had, I would have it done again.
    Anonymous

• Stripping the membranes is where a health care provider will separate your bag of water from the cervix, it is not intended to break your water, however, it may. It may also cause infection, and may be painful for some. The reason that we tell people that we are stripping their membranes is to "get things going" in regards to labor. This little technique is usually done during a vaginal exam at the end of pregnancy, with or without the knowledge or consent of the woman. My doctor did this only because I was 2 weeks over due. I had my son 24 hrs later.
    dansebsil

Answer by dansebsil at 11:23 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• My doctor did this at my 39 week appointment. I did not ask for it, he just went ahead and did it while checking my cervix. It was uncomfortable, and it cause me to lose my plug over the next few days, and my son was born the following week.

MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 11:58 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• This can cause infection in the mother as the doctor basically give you a rough exam to loosen or separate the membranes from the cervix. My doctor did this to me without permission and thankfully I didn't develop an infection and my baby stayed put (for 3 more weeks)
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 3:23 AM on Jul. 1, 2008

• i had this done.. it hurt a little bite... i dont know for sure if it helped or not.. it may have helped me start dialating but im not sure b/c i dindt go into labor till about 2 wks after that.
    MissF

Answer by MissF at 8:16 PM on Aug. 9, 2008