too young for spanking?

is 6 months too young to start spanking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:50 AM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think so. 6 months is very young to understand cause and effect.
    briezysmommy

Answer by briezysmommy at 11:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is definitely too young. A 6 month old has no concept of right or wrong!
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:53 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• why would you want to spank a 6 month old? they arent even old enough to be bad. they are curious about everything and trying to learn. I'm trying to imagine what a 6 mo old could possibly do to deserve a spanking.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Well, yes. A baby has no way of knowing 'right' from 'wrong', although they can start to learn.

My son is 17 months old now... I am starting some harsher discipline now... For instance, We have an outlet in the baseboard by the couch. Yes, it has covers in it, but he tries to take them out. After the second time of me removing him from the area and telling him 'no thankyou' - the third time I do flick his fingers & tell him 'no thank you' again. He looks at me with his puppy eyes... then goes about his business playing with something else. He wasn't 'hurt' by me flicking his fingers... but after telling him the same thing 3 times... that's it.

So, yes... 6 months IS too young as the baby is not doing things on purpose. Once you know they are starting to KNOW what you are saying... that's different.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 11:56 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes! They have no idea what they would be getting it for. My 8 month old though if she is trying to grab something that she isnt suppose to I just grab her hand and tell her NO. It takes a long time before she gets it though. Unless, she just gets tired of fighting me for it and than she crawls off and gets into something else.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 11:58 AM on Oct. 9, 2008

• i agree 100 percent with ruttermama. spanking shouldnt be done untill at least 5, not only that its highly frowned uponed by DHS younger than 5
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 12:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• definately how do you expect a baby that young to understand discipline that is very disturbing.
    Anonymous

• I dont think you should spank until they r like 2 or at least 1 1/2 like everybody else says they don't understand being that young..n is ur baby even walking or crawling or anything to get spanked????
    Anonymous

• why in the freakin world would you spank a 6 month old!!! seriously! GOD people make me sick. If I ever saw someone spanking a BABY I'd kick their ass. Your baby can't even walk yet for crying out loud....
    GOD I hope I never meet you
    JessTorres

Answer by JessTorres at 1:39 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• seriously if you weren't anoonymous I would call the police on you.
    JessTorres

Answer by JessTorres at 1:40 PM on Oct. 9, 2008