Should we just be blunt?

Some theologians state that we should tell the truth as much as possible, in every instance. Say what you're really feeling and thinking -- unless it would actually hurt someone for them to hear it. If you find it hard to reveal your true thoughts, at least start by being totally real to yourself.

Tell yourself exactly what you think and feel. The more real we are, the less we have to worry about hiding, or covering up for our shame, guilt, or embarrassment. Eating too much and making ourselves fat is, in another way, hiding from life. We're avoiding showing or being the true, real, healthy selves we were created to be.

But I have found that many people dont want to hear the truth... Should we just be blunt?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 9:24 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There is more than one way to say everything. Telling the truth doesnt mean you have to be harsh. I would prefer to know the truth, no matter what.
    JessieK79

Answer by JessieK79 at 9:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Sometimes the truth is a little inappropriate, but I do agree people need to get over it, suck it up, and take it like a man. I'm not about to tell my boss that I don't give a damn what country he's from and which Gods ass he kisses, hes still a peice of shit and he's not better than me in anyway cuz he works the same dead end job, he just sucks at life more for being the boss. lol I need to make some money haha thats why you keep that shit to yourself. haha
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 9:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• "unless it would actually hurt someone for them to hear it"

If you go by that rule then you can almost never be blunt. And all this to me is saying how I was raised, except I was also raised that sometimes you have to say it even if it may hurt someone's feelings. Not to always say it... but sometimes it is necessary.

Also it is a matter of tact and manners as to when to tell the truth.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The art to beginning diplomatic has gotten lost.
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• no, there's a time for honestly and a time to be sensitive. You have to be diplomatic at times.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• depends on what the truth is
    and depends how truth is delivered

what truth and person who doe snot want to hear (if any) are you talking about
    or is this a general question
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• General question Fiatpax
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

If you go by that rule then you can almost never be blunt.

-----------------------------------------------------

I disagree. People have become so accustomed to hearing ONLY what they want, or what is PC that regardless of tact or sensitivity (which should not be necessary to get a point across) they are hurt by hearing anything that they do not desire to. So far as I am concerned, if someone is hurt by the truth I speak, they have a personal issue to deal with.
    I DEMAND honesty from my friends and family, it is a condition of my working relationship- If I can not trust you to be completely honest with me, then I can not trust you at all.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would choose bluntness with tact. Rather than sugar coat it and find out later that the opinion or feelings are different, I want honesty
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:52 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think it matters who is the one telling the truth. For example, my Doctor told me to lose 16 pounds,based on my height and bone structure,in order to lower my blood pressure. That was okay with me. BUT if a friend said I should lose weight,I might have hurt feelings. See what I mean? I am brutally honest with myself,though,and tend to beat myself up ( in my mind) all the time. LOL.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010