very personal sex ques... adult content

If you are religious is it ok to masturbate..does it say in any religion that it is wrong? and with out religion is it ok also???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:41 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Some religions like devout Catholics say no to masturbation

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Some religions don't even allow sex at all... so I'm sure somewhere it is wrong for you.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 9:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• we dont have a religon we are just christian and my mom knows the bible very well she was talking to my grandma one day about it i forget why, but she was saying that it was wrong to masturbate if you were a christian and that it said somewhere in the bible about masterbation. Me personally I see nothing wrong with it I mean it is your own body right?
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• View Image

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The bible mentions nothing of the act of masturbation. I remember someone teaching on it and other sexually related issues at a singles retreat about 15 years ago.

Here are a few scriptures that I'm familiar with...sexual in nature.

Matthew 5:28
    Genesis 2:24
    Proverbs 5:18-19
    1 Corinthians 7:3-5
    Psalm 119: 35-37
    Genesis 38:8-10
    1 Corinthians 6:12
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 10:03 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ok, here's my opinion, based on my experiences working as a counselor...
    its not the act of masturbation itself that is harmful, but its the lustful thoughts, pornography, and other things that often go along with it that can be pretty damaging to you and your relationship.
    Masturbation can actually become an addiction; and sometimes it can make it more difficult to be able to have an orgasm with your SO (I know not everyone will agree with that but I have had people in counseling sessions complaining that they can only orgasm when they masturbate and are so frustrated that they can't seem to connect with their spouse).
    From a religious perspective (and from a psychological perspective) it could be argued that masturbation is selfish, that you are better off cultivating a healthy sexual relationship with your spouse.
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 10:04 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well Elizabiza... I think you got it!
    35yoamom

Answer by 35yoamom at 10:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Nowhere in the bible does it explicitly state that it is wrong, or "sinful".

It is not selfish, it is not wrong, and is a normal part of the human experience. Anyone who speaks differently is a religious drone who has misinterpreted their holy book.

Though, there are some religions in which sex is forbidden. Period... depends on what religion you were inquiring about, though I a *assume* you mean christianity, since most people function under the misconception that this is a christian nation.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• elizabiza...holding my shower head over my clit until I come hasn't ruined my marriage or turned me into a pervert who can't get off if I'm not diddling my own vagina. I have masturbated since the age of five- and so tell me, what exactly was I thinking about when I was that age? Nothing. I did it because it felt good and I do it still because it feels good. I don't even HAVE to think sexual thoughts about anyone while doing it.

I will admit that there are probably those out there who prefer to masturbate than have intercourse with their husbandsand it ruins their relationship but I think that is simply a symptom of a deeper problem.

To those religious people who think it's wrong because it's so selfish- perhaps you NEED to go buy a vibrator and get over your fear of doing something for yourself. Don't fear the big O.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:54 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If someone can't relate to their spouse because they prefer masturbation, the problem is in communication between the spouses, not because one of them has "lustful thoughts". It's not like people come with instruction manuals, and they aren't going to know how to do it as good as someone can do for themselves unless they are TOLD where to go. That's one of the reasons people should masturbate, so they can figure out what works for them and share it with their partner.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:06 AM on Aug. 25, 2010