anyone else deal with the"mean girls" and your daughter?

my daughter is 8 and has come home telling me she wants to transfer schools becouse the kids are awful. The parents here even allow it . any advice would be great thanks

abcisme

Asked by abcisme at 12:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• yeah my girls do that to, but as long as their is no physical violence, i think it's just normal. Cuz one day they're friends, the next their not, so it depends, if your daughter is not in th eright clothes, or have the right hair for NOW, kids will be cruewl thats jsut a reality. their's nothign you cna do about it, and switching schools, isnt gonna help, cuz this is everywhere trust me. I was the one always picked on, all through high school. SHe needs to concentrate on her education, not being popular, or she'll be too stressed out, and thats where depression will start. I am not trying to be mean im being honest and straight forward.
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 12:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• There is not much one can do especially when the other parents do not recognizing it as a problem. If it is taking place on the school grounds the teacher and principle could be brought in on it, my children never wanted to go this route they felt it would only cause more trouble. And the way children can be I believe they are right. After two years in school my boys asked to be homeschooled again due to situations like this one. We participate in a program at the YMCA with other homeschoolers and I don't know why but these types of problems do not exist among them , maybe homeschooling is an option. If you would like more information feel free to email me.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My 8 yr. old daughter dealt w/ this & still does 2 a point but we've taught her 2 be assertive in a respectful but firm way. U could try explaining 2 ur daughter that bullies r people that either don't have alot friends or have low self esteem or both. As far as switching schools, I wouldn't bc SLVN_Jen is right, it's in every school. I would go 2 the principal 2 c what he/she can do 2 separate ur daughter from them as fas as being in some of the same class (es) bc it's their job 2 protect each & every child in the school. If u think the other parents would b willing, try a conference w/ them & the principal. lastly, if that doesn't work & u don't think the principal is hearing ur daughers (or urs) concerns & feelings, go 2 the school board. Good luck hun!
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My daughter (8 yrs) started getting in a little club at school...the other girls are mean I wonder if my daughter is too but doesn't share that with me. She once said her friends were mean so someone when the girl fell down and my daughter said she stood up for the girl that fell and told her friend "How would you like it if someone laughed at you" her friend said you can't be my friend anymore. I daughter said I don't care. off and on they were friends. My daughter is a Christian but regardless I"m glad she did what was right!! Teach her to be strong and find new friends. :) I hope she will find new friends and learn to ignore and not be moved. :) Or If you want and can changing it won't be bad either. Try talking to the teacher or principle too! I talked to them once or twice.

JCRestoredme

Answer by JCRestoredme at 6:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I can see this kind of behavior happening in JR High and High School but there is something wrong when it happens in elementary school. Our children are there to learn. Out of all of their school experiences (K - 12), elementary school is usually the one that everyone looks back on as their favorite. About the age of 8 is when children really start noticing the differences between their classmates. If you feel that more should be done that what the teacher is doing, go up the chain of command. Should you feel the need to place your child in another school or homeschool her, don't feel bad. You are doing what is best for her.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 4:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2008