Would You Date or Marry Someone if.............

Your Kids Do Not Like Him?

Please answer truthfully - you can be anonymous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do not understand this. I have a friend who is getting married, she is a single mom, and her little girl does not want her to get married. I'm happily married, but say my hubby died............if were a single mom, I would DEFINITELY not marry someone if my kids didn't want to me to!!!! I probably wouldn't even date period because it'd be too hard on the kids if you broke up. But if I really though the guy was the man for me I would wait until the kids were at least 18 to marry him.

Anway, please share your thoughts - THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I agree with you. I think I would ask her why she didn't like him. Usually kids have a pretty good sense about that kind of stuff. Sometimes adults act different in front of kids that made her not like him.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 12:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• how old is the little girl, if shes under 10 she doesnt know no better, but definately agree with th eabove, ask her why if its a valid answer think twice
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 12:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• no i would. my son is the most important person to me... everyone else doesnt matter
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I would find out why the little girl doesn't want her mom to marry the man.. If it is a legit reason then I could understand. But if the little girl was just worried that it could be taking time away from her, she needs to understand that her mom has a life also. This man could be a wonderful father to her. Who knows? I think the mother needs to reassure the little girl that she will always be her mother no matter who she marries. That is honestly my opinion...
    honeys_sugamama

Answer by honeys_sugamama at 12:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with you! Kids are number one and very instinctual. They know something is not right with that person or that person has done something to them that the mom doesnt know about. Something is just not sitting right in her kids' stomaches.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 12:26 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree, but I am not going to say to the kids, Hey if I start dating and you dont like him let me know and we're over, cause then they may say it just so daddy isnt "replaced" but if they didnt like him, I would need good reasons. But I would prob wait for them to be out of the house.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It depends on the daughter's age and her reasons for not liking him. If she just plain doesn't like him because he's not her daddy, then I wouldn't put as much weight on her opinion. I would definitely postpone the wedding long enough to get counseling if necessary to find out the daughter's reasons for being against the wedding.
    KLBrown

Answer by KLBrown at 12:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree it depends on the child's age and reason for not liking them. I was a single mom from day one with my oldest and there is going to be inevitable conflict with any guy who takes on that role with him, he likes being the man of the house.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:05 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Hmmm, this is a hard question to answer. While I DO understand your point, I also understand the other mother's point too. I was 8 when I lost my dad. My mom dated a few guys about a year and a half afterwards. I HATED it. Keep in mind I was only 9. I begged her to break up with the guys. I even went so far as to claim that one of the guys hit me. (he didn't really). I didn't want to admit to myself that mommy & daddy weren't going to be together again. Then she got with a guy who is now my step-dad. I hated him at first. For about the first 3 or 4 years years of their relationship I tried to break them up. (yeah, I know. I was a terrible kid) Now I realize that he really was the best thing for me my mom & my brother.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008