SERIOUS budget tips needed!!!

$30 to spend for 8 days worth of groceries.. There's 3 of us.. we're not picky! What do I get that'll last a long time? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Shopping

• Dried beans, rice, pasta, ground turkedy(it's usually $1 less per lb than beef burger), bologna, bread, chicken legs, pasta sauce if you can't make your own. All of these types of things are very cheap. Also, go through your pantry and freezer and fridge, and see exactly what you have...you very well might be able to make most of your meals out of what you already have, and just buy some veggies and milk.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 12:24 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• They have these big ol' packages of pieces of spiral cut ham at the grocery store I shop at for like 5-6 bucks. I make a pot of beans w/Rotel. I can also make a ham/cheese casserole, breakfast tacos w/eggs, or fry it for dinner w/potatoes. Do oatmeal instead of boxed cereal. Add cinnamon, applesauce, or brown sugar. Just a hint-pasta actually bloats you then makes you feel hungry quicker, so try to sneak in some vegetables so your family won't be looking for the next meal too soon! Good luck, I hope this strain on you is not too stressful.
    idomatter

Answer by idomatter at 2:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Nah.. not too stressful, thanks both for the tips! I was ready to set off on my budget shopping adventure.. and now my car won't start... haaaaaaaa.
    Anonymous

• DANG... i just spent 268 for two weeks and thats for 3 of us. i did have to get formula which is 25 each and i got two cans and i had to get baby food and wipes... but i wish i could spend 60 for two weeks!!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 4:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• yeah, I usually spend about $80-100 every two weeks but we're going through some financial troubles right now..!
    Anonymous

• Best news of the day.. I got my car to work, and I made out like a bandit with $27 in groceries!
    Anonymous

• Out of curiosity, what products did you decide to go with and what meals are you planning. I've actually seen a couple similar posts recently...you're definitely not alone here!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Hamburger....hamburgers, with or without buns, Mac and cheese add hamburger, taco mix tortillas refried beans with cheese or no cheese...umm. thats all I can think of for now.
    raybell

Answer by raybell at 1:33 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I got a bunch of frozen veggies.. the chicken and hamburger was on CRAZY sale so I got two value packs of each. A bag of potatoes. Milk, cereal, and some other frozen stuff.. I'm so glad we have SaveMart in our town now.. Slammin' deals!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Oct. 11, 2008