Could we have broke his insides?

I know this sounds stupid but....This morning my 3yr old was trying to poop and was crying for help so we were rubbing his tummy while he pushed ... This went on for like 30 minutes until DH left for work & I told ds to sit while I get undies & we would try later...I hear this scream that we call the "vomit scream" and ran for him and sure enough he was throwing up. He has since thrown up at least 6 times...There is nothing in him to throw up so it's liquid & mucus and it's only been 3 hours! What is we rubbed too hard? What if rubbing while he was pushing is bad? I'm freaking out!! We do have a doctors appt. but I'm freaking out now!!!

IamATeenMom307

Asked by IamATeenMom307 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Health

• no, you did not break his insides...
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No,you didn't hurt him by rubbing his tummy. He just pushed so hard he upset his stomach. Possibly a tummy bug

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No, doubtful. He may have had a preexisting condition that you worsened, but chances are if that were the case it would have happened on its own any way.
    if he was constipated for a long period, he could also experience vomiting. However, if he has abdominal pain, vomiting, and is running a fever you had better get him to the ER ASAP.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No, you could not have hurt him by rubbing his tummy! I would keep the doctor's appointment unless he starts showing more symptoms. If he got any worse, I would get him in to an Urgent Care Clinic or the ER ASAP.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 10:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My daughter suffers from constipation so i am literally, always rubbing and pushing her tummy and trying to spread her butt cheeks so it doesn't hurt as much. It sounds like a stomach bug. Make sure you keep him hydrated by giving him lots of liquids. If he has a fever, give him some tylenol since motrin is too heavy on an empty stomach. Again, since he is younger, there's not much you can do for him. But again, it does sound like a stomach bug. He probably thought hee needed to go poop (since his tummy hurts) but it was just vomit. I hope he gets better
    YObando

Answer by YObando at 10:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He has been saying his tummy hurt, he has been vomitting but I don't have our thermometer so I don't know if he has a fever! What could it be if he has all 3 symptoms?
    IamATeenMom307

Comment by IamATeenMom307 (original poster) at 10:25 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He could have a fecal impaction. Toddlers can hold their poop in and it turns into a hard mass that can become a medical emergency. It can involve vomiting. It may not have been the rubbing at all. If his appointment isn't soon today and his condition gets worse you may need to take him to the ER. He may need to some kind of scan and to have it removed. It can be very, very painful and you want him to get help.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:31 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• With an impaction he won't have a fever.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2010