Jaundice

Why is it normal for some breastfeeding babies to have yellowish eyes longer than non-breastfeeding?

Amber211

Asked by Amber211 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Because it takes a little longer to get enough in them to flush the bilirubin out in their pee with BM than it does to get them to gulp several ounces of formula from a bottle.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:32 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't know. But with my daughter who was jaundiced, the doctor told me to stop nursing for 3 says and exclusively bottle feed. I did it, but luckily I pumped and was still able to nurse after that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:10 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Nurse and get some sunlight exposue either outsie or just near a window. Formula is an attempted copy of breastmilk, it makes no sense to switch to the copy. Breastmilk even has a laxative affect to keep the digestive system moving properly.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Billirubin actually has an antioxidant effect in low levels... we don't quite know why some babies stay jaundiced longer than others, but seeing as it's actually beneficial to them instead of asking why some breastfed babies stay jaundiced, one might ask why some formula fed infants don't and what they might be missing out on. Breastfeeding IS the biological norm for our species, so it should be used as the gage for "normal"... in which case the lack of jaundice is what is "abnormal".

As long as they aren't jaundiced for a lack of milk, that is... but that's easy enough to determine and rule out.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Uh, you nurse more when jaundiced, you don't stop and bottle feed. Geeze.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, I didn't know to nurse more. I did what the doctor told me.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 12:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010