Is this backlash for the anti-mosque movement?

A city cab driver is in the hospital after being stabbed by a passenger who allegedly asked if he was Muslim, police tell NY1.

Investigators with the New York City Police Department say it all began Monday night when a 21-year-old man hailed a cab at 24th Street and Second Avenue in Manhattan.

Police say the passenger asked the driver, "Are you Muslim?" When the driver said yes the passenger pulled a knife and slashed him in the throat, arm and lip.

The 43-year-old driver was able to lock the passenger in the back of the cab and call 911.

Both the driver and the passenger were taken to Bellevue Hospital.

As of late Tuesday, no charges had been filed.

http://manhattan.ny1.com/content/top_stories/124338/police--cab-driver-stabbed-by-passenger-who-asked--are-you-muslim

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• What a nightmare. This is the result of the current atmosphere of intolerance in this country. I'll bet the crazy who did this feels justified in his mind.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 10:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Let me guess, this guy couldn't possibly represent all the anti-muslim, errr anti-community center people, he's just an extremist fringe element who does not speak for everyone else. Nobody should hold the entire group responsible for the actions of the extremist. Did I cover it all?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:02 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Is there anything to "tie" this to the anti-mosque movement? If not then it's really jumping the gun here and associating it with the anti-mosque movement. It's totally possible that the guy was/is anti-mosque, but it doesn't mean he's apart of the movement. Thus it could just be a stand alone act by, as peanutsmommy1 stated, a nutjob.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:38 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• So non muslims and muslims are going to fight hate with hate...If the "american" non muslim people hate all muslims for 9-11 how about people like the passenger giving all non muslim a bad name..if he were christian..or hindu ..or jewish should muslims hate "HIS KIND" Why cant people just leave it alone..how did he even know that guy was ok with the center being built there.......THis is going to turn into an ugly mess, trhen in the outcome at the end..the entire population will be terrorists....
    peachface21

Answer by peachface21 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• How is this a race baiting question? It is a question that in light of recent events or possible events is quite legit at the moment. Sorry Jewjew but you need to get over yourself.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Oh, yes, he was a nut all right. I don't think anyone is saying that he isn't. And yes, I am sure we will hear about more incidences like this. The current tension in this country will bring them out, of course a person actually perpetrating a crime like this is a nut. That doesn't mean that the influence isn't there.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 11:00 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Let me guess, this guy couldn't possibly represent all the anti-muslim, errr anti-community center people, he's just an extremist fringe element who does not speak for everyone else

Just like the terrorist don't represent all Muslims yet so many lump them up together.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• could be, or just another random nutjob
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 10:33 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It probably is, sure. All the news, brings out the crazies.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:40 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Things like this disgust me really!!!! I am not shocked though which is even worse. Makes me very sad and embarrassed to be an American.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 25, 2010