im a mother of 2 young children under the age of 5. i reciently found out that their are 3 sex affenders on my street

and one the who isnt in trouble yet but keeps taking pics of the 5 year old a few house down as she is playing outside and her brother told her mom that the guy was trying to talk her into going into his home.She has warned him to stop talking to her kids and has called the cops and they do nothing. the guy across the street which was caught having sex with this guys 8 year old only got 6 months probation because they didnt want her to have to go threw all that when testifing on the stand. Im having a hard time dealing with this im completely freaked out and dont want to take my kids outside at all. anyone got idea on how to handle the situation with out rattling my nerves were talking 2 houses down and then across the street from that house. the other guy lives a block away i dont know anything on him. Im scard for his daughter and wants to know what i can do as a mother to my own children and how to help keep this girl safe

mommathorne

Asked by mommathorne at 11:14 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• is there there anything i can do for the 8 year old girl i believe from the way her father is acting i think she is being molested by him.
    mommathorne

Comment by mommathorne (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Bumping this for you

victoriamom2007

Answer by victoriamom2007 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thank you
    mommathorne

Comment by mommathorne (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• These people are everywhere now. At least you know where these ones are. I would try to let my children have as normal a life as possible, but I would watch them every single minute of every single day. If they are outside, I'd be outside with them. I would also be looking for any sign of the offenders, and if I saw them breathe in the wrong kind of way, I would be on the phone to the police. It is a shame that our world has come to this, but it is the way it is, and it means that parenting has become an even bigger responsibility than it's ever been before. I would also be sure my house had some very secure locks on all the doors and the windows, and I would check them pretty often to make sure they were working properly.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well, your children are young enough that they should be supervised if they are out in front anyway, but I think you also should slowly start talking to your kids about inappropriate touching....these are not the only adults or even other kids, that they will be exposed to that put them at risk. Explain to them in an age appropriate way about touching, what's appropriate, what's not, and that they should always be able to tell you or an adult that they trust about touching that makes them uncomfortable, or that they know is inappropriate. Let them know that even if the person tells them not to tell....they have a right to tell. Also let them know most people are good, and that you always try to protect them, that this information is just so that they are aware of what can happen.

I don't know what you can do for the other child, but you can keep your children supervised.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You can call CPS about the little girl, if you haven't already. They should be checking on her already. I really don't understand why she is even in the house with him, but there again, this is the world that we live in today.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:21 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't know what you can do for the 8 year old. Do the police know she is living with him? I would make sure the police know about it and other than that, just be a friend to her.

As far as your kids are concerned: we keep a very close eye on our kids (4 under 5 years old). It wouldn't matter a whole lot if there was a predator next door. We make sure the blinds are closed at night so people can't see in. I or my husband are out with the kids if they are outside. We had locks at the top of the doors at our former house so that the kids couldn't get out without us. Keep an eye on them. In one way you are better off - you KNOW who the molesters are. Don't worry too much. Take care of your kids and be careful. The way we are with our kids - it doesn't matter if it is the sweetest grandparent or a child molester who is our neighbor.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:22 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• some one in my build was a register sex offender and what my sister and i did was post his picture and his offense all over the neighborhood and slipped it in to neighbors doors and each building has a bulletin board i put it up there too he was so embarrassed he doesn't come out when the parents and kids are out and i have seen him in a while so i hope he is planning to move its not harassment there is no law against educating your friends and neighbors
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thanks guys. my huspand and I are very protective our kids are 2 and 4 they dont go outside with out us at all. Im trying to teach my 4 year old stranger danger and good touch bad touch, Its sad when these things happen to children im on meds for anxiety and panic attackes I dont sleep well at night i get up almost every hour to make sure my doors and windows are locked and my kids are safe in bed. i love nancy grace my dr told me to stop watching her it was driving me insaine all the kids coming up missing and it was reflecting on my own family and neighbors and making it worse on us. I want to put a big sign up saying child preditors in the area to let people know. My huspand said he is going to make shirts for our children that say if you look at me my daddy will hurt you for when they are playing outside. The 8 year old lives with her dad and mom i never see her outside ever. her dad has reciently been doing these things.
    mommathorne

Comment by mommathorne (original poster) at 11:36 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Sadly this is everywhere these days. Don't let your children out of your sight for a minute. As for the 8 yr old, if you really have a valid suspicion something is going on, call CPS. Sex offenders are everywhere.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010