Why is he not feeding himself?

In the last 2 or 3 weeks, my 3 yo will not eat unless DH or I feed him. I don't understand it. He's been feeding himself for so long now. He'll be 4 in 2.5 weeks.

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 11:16 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• stop feeding him, he will pick up the fork really fast and he won't starve
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 11:17 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• sounds like he expects you to feed him ^_-
    id just enforce him to feed himself and if he doesn't eat oh well, he'll eat when hes hungry.
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 11:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• haha.. My son is a little "king" also =- he would Prefer us to feed him certain foods like jelly toast or english muffins and peanut butter so he doesn't get his fingers and hands dirty so quite often he says Mommy, will you feed me - how long have you tried going without feeding him? how long will HE go without you feeding him? Does he throw a fit or get upset when you won't feed him? do you notice if his hands have ouches on them at all anywhere?
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He WILL NOT STARVE...even if he went a week. he will eat eventually. Set healthy food in front of him and don't feed him. He will eat.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:26 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He goes to play?? No mama. He eats or no play. Personally, if he expected me to feed him, I'd do it with his hand on the spoon or fork as well. I'd be holding my hand over his hand and guiding it into his mouth. He's trying a power play and you're letting him.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Does he eat lunch at preschool? I've noticed that my 3-year-old eats more at daycare when he's with his peers than at home. Sometimes, he's just not hungry at night. That wouldn't explain the behavior before he started preschool though. My 3-year-old also has an occasional meal when he wants us to feed him, but it's not an ongoing thing. I notice it mostly on things that are more difficult to eat, like soup.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• That's the thing. He refuses to eat, period.
    sokkamum

Comment by sokkamum (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Not long. He's such a picky eater as it is, so we worry about his nutrition and such. It seems it's the power struggle thing, but last night he went to bed without eating and this morning, he didn't want to eat. No, he doesn't throw a fit. just tries to get down from the table and go play. His hands are fine.
    sokkamum

Comment by sokkamum (original poster) at 11:23 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I was also told by our doctor that he will not start himself.. But I still understand the fear you must have when your child won't eat - !! I found at store called the vitamin shoppe this powdered for of vitamins for kids - can be like vanilla or chocolate flavor so it will be more like chocolate milk- my sons phase for not eating was not very long but I have a nurse friend also who's Ped told that if you take what your son eats and after 3 days can make it 1 meal - he is fine - like if in all 3 days it was basically 1 plate full of food ( their size with their small tummies )
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:39 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Has there been a change in his life? John did that about three, he just stopped feeding his self. my friend made the mistake of feeding him to get him to try something & He liked it. he liked that time spent focused on him.... But durning this time we had other people/children visiting more/living with us.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 11:42 AM on Aug. 25, 2010