breast feeding and formula feeding

Hi everyone!! I dont want a debate on this I would just like some suggestions and/or guidence. I plan on breastfeeding my LO for the whole time I am home from work ( if I am able... was not able with my first two at all no matter how many times we seen the lactation consultant. Just couldnt work for us :( ), however when I start back at work 4 days a week 1/2 days I don't want to pump when Im at work. What is the best way to transtion from just breastfeeding to BF and FF without causing any problems or confusion to the baby? Thanks so much!!

Rjmjpappy

Asked by Rjmjpappy at 11:44 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There isn't a good way. Why wouldn't you pump? You're setting yourself up for failure.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:46 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• When you go back to work your not going to BF at all? There isn't a "best way" to transition from BF to FF some babies tolerate it good some babies act they are choking if you attempt to FF them. My daughter was horrible with any bottle, good luck.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• some babies transition well, others not... mine were bottle and breast... they took easily to both.. you are NOT going to set yourself up for failure what ever you decide.. it may take trying a few different bottles to see which one they prefer.. i could never pump a decent amount if i was to go somewhere and needed to leave baby behind... so yes they then got formula if i was gone.. again, mine took to both of them just fine... GOOD LUCK.. you'll find something that will work :)
    millerbunch

Answer by millerbunch at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm in the same boat, I plan to BF when this baby is born until I go back to work. My sons pediatrician said to pump for at least a week before I go back to work to introduce the bottle if he will be strictly on the breast. And we can introduce formula during that week as well to let him get used to the change. Most babies adapt fine, while others need special formula to help with gas and what not. I'm sorry ObbyDobbie feels you're setting yourself up for failure, that's just ignorant. You're not failing if you chose not to pump at work, I chose to not pump at work as well, and as long as my baby is being fed there is nothing wrong with it. My 1st son was only FF and he is a happy, healthy, smart 4 year old. Don't let others bash you, it's a personal choice that only you can make!
    mishmashmom

Answer by mishmashmom at 12:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Start by substituting a bottle for one of your feedings for a few days, then sub a bottle for two feedings for a few days, and so on like that. I did it in about two weeks time with my DD, and in a week with my DS. Don't listen to the haters.... you HAVE to do what is best your YOU!!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thank you to all that are not judging and giving me some great advice. I do plan on breastfeeding after I start back to work when I am home but while I am at work I would like to supplement. Thanks again ladies. You were very helpful! :)
    Rjmjpappy

Comment by Rjmjpappy (original poster) at 12:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would suggest heading over to the Breastfeeding Group to get as much information as possible. Also any amount of Breastmilk is better than none.
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 1:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• im going to do both
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 7:06 PM on Aug. 27, 2010