Preschool?

Ok, this will seem like a dumb question ladies but this is my first child and I have no idea....what age do kids start preschool? Do all kids these days go to preschool? How do I find one when the time comes? I feel stupid for not knowing these things but I have to find out. Thanks.

doodlepuss

Asked by doodlepuss at 11:45 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well preschool, traditionally speaking starts at 3 and potty trianed. Traditional preschool is a few days a week and only about 3 hours per day. No lunch, no nap etc...it is NOT daycare.

Finding a preschool is fairly easy as most churches have one. Some elementary schools offer a preschool program as well. Look in the phone book, ask other moms in your area what is around and what they like.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:48 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Kids don't need to go to preschool, it's better to be home with mom. Formal learning experience does not give children long term advantages and it puts them at risk of illness. Young kids learn bad habits being around other kids.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• In our county they have 3yo headstart and 4yo pre-k... 2 of my kids have gone to headstart and 3 have gone to pre-k and 1 is only 8 wks old
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 11:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• depends on the preschool the ones around here. One has a mommy and me you have to go eith your child 1-2 times a week it starts at 2 years. Then there are some that start here at 3 and some at 4 so it just depends on the school. And no not all kids go my 5 year old didn't go and she is about to go to kindergarden. I am not sure yet about my 1.5 year old. You just call the school you want your child to go to and they will give you info.
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 11:50 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Depends on where you live and what you want to do. Pre-k as in State funded FREE Pre-k is at 4 years old. And this is only done in certain districts, go to your local school districts website for more information. Where I'm from in FL has free voluntary pre-k for 4year olds at all the Elem. schools. Here in CA there are only about 6 school in our district with free pre-k and you have to qualify with a low enough income.

I think pre-k is a good thing, the changing standards of elem. school are such that kids need to know and do more in Kindergarten than when we were kids. It will help them get used to school and learning. Especially if you haven't done any daycare or playgroups or anything before, going from just mom and dad to school is tough.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I wish it was easier to find out info in our specific area..
    The prek's I do know of I wouldnt want my child in them, and the Free Prek at the schools in our area is mainly for disadvantaged kids- which usually means kids who dont speak english..
    My dd is turning 4 in Oct & is wanting to go to school (she has to do everything by herself so she can be a big girl & go to school!) So id love to find something for her, but around here I haven't found anything Id put her in :(
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Preschool generally starts at age 3. It is completely unnecessary. You can teach your child everything s/he needs to know. They do eventually need socialization, but you can do that at the park or library or other social events. Some states don't require school until first grade or age 6.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:37 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Where I lived preschool was for 4 year olds. I didn't realize it was so common for younger kids until I was on this site. In Illinois it's not required (neither is kindergarten). Only my girls went to preschool and the only place we could afford was through the park district and was just 3-4 hours a week. My oldest went at 4, my middle dd at 5 for 1/2 year and my youngest started at 3 1/2 for a year. We've moved and she won't go this year at 4 because we can't afford it. My son never went and is now in 3rd grade and doing just fine.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Not every child will start preschool, but most start around the age of 4
    Winerygirl

Answer by Winerygirl at 8:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• most of them start when theyre 4.
    Mom2Giovanna

Answer by Mom2Giovanna at 9:44 AM on Aug. 26, 2010