has anybody suffered ppd?

With my 1st pregnancy I had horrible ppd. And I believe due to the pain meds (from my c section) I was having post partum psycosis. I stopped using the pain meds days after. Now I am pregnant with my second and am much happier. I just don't want it to return...any storys please feel free to share.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had it really bad with my first son and with my youngest son I didn't have it at all!
    TJones32

Answer by TJones32 at 11:51 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I honestly believe the only thing that stopped my PPD from getting to the point of PPP was the fact that I got pregnant again. My oldest was only 5 months old when I got pregnant with the second, it most likely saved my life - seriously. I didn't know what PPD was, didn't know how to deal with it, and HATED being a mom! I felt (and still feel in many ways) as if parenthood was like prison. I went from having a great life, full time job, great friends to being alone with a baby 24/7 while everyone else moved on... My son had belly issues and cried more than the average baby, plus he was a BIG BOY and nursed constantly. I hated nursing by my family gave me so much trouble about formula I was afraid to give it to him any more than I HAD to... It was by far the hardest time I've dealt with being a parent. It was about the time I got to the point of being a danger to my son that I got pregnant.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thankfully that helped to even out my hormones SOMEWHAT and I was able to go back to work p/t which was a blessing. None of it was easy, and every day was a fight... While I was pregnant with my youngest our world kinda fell apart in some other ways - which also didn't help... But by the time the second came along, I was to a point where I knew what had caused it, I knew there was help and I knew where to get it. Which as it turned out I didn't need it - I had no issues with PPD with the second. I learned more than anything that I needed to tell everyone else to go to hell and raise my kids my way, that actually cut down on stress more than anything. And now I'm hoping I don't face issues with my third (due in Dec).

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had PPD after I gave birth to my 1st. It was really bad. I didn't want anyhing to do with her. When she was days old all she did was cry cry cry, 24/7 she cried. I probably got 2 hours of sleep a day and not in a 2 hour stretch. Her pediatrician said there was nothing wrong with her, that some babies just don't adjust well to being born. It lasted until she was 8 months old. She was one cranky baby. I think the PPD went away when she was 6 months old.
    I didn't get PPD with my 2nd or 3rd. I was scared I would, but I didn't.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 12:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• opps, when she was 2 days old all she did was cry. Forgot the 2.
    PoisonousBlonde

• Thank you =) your awesome encouagement.
    A.D.P

Answer by A.D.P at 12:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Had Post Partum after both C sections. Only asked my doc for help after 2nd baby. Put me on Lexapro and it helped immensely. Wish I'd asked doc for assistance after the 1st birth.
    Nan501

Answer by Nan501 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I only had it with my 4th child. It was bad, I felt no connection with him whatsoever. But I also had NO help. SO was deployed and I have no family here. My older kids helped only if they saw me have a breakdown. There literally would be days that would go by when no one would hold the baby but me. And he was fussy all the time, and would cry every time I laid him down. It was a horrible time. I knew what it ws though, and I knew it would pass, and it did. Now he is the joy of my life. I don't know how I lived without him as long as I did.
    mommyakabooby

Answer by mommyakabooby at 1:36 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had post partum psychosis with my first. It was really scary. when I got pregnant with my second, I decided with my therapist that I would go on meds two months before I had my baby. I did, and I felt good about the choice. I weaned off of them six weeks later, and didn't have symptoms. I had some symptoms when I got pregnant with my third (I am still pregnant). I recognized the signs, the thoughts that weren't mine, extreme tiredness, etc, and I opted to go back on the meds again. That is what has worked for me. But I don't think I ever had symptoms with my 2nd at all. The meds could have masked them, but I felt different. When I weaned off, I felt better. I really think I could have skipped them, but the peace of mind they gave me was worth it.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think there is some connection with c secs and ppd. I know when I had my daughter I was so sedated by the meds that I didn't think my daughter was mine when they pulled her out. It was horrible. I just thank God for letting those times past. My daughter is almost 3 and is my life. I am doing a homebirth with my son and I feel it'll have a much better outcome. However I see a therepist as well just to make sure all is well and if I need the meds I have them on hand. I pray that I don't.jbut they help a great deal, so life goes on if I do hve to be on them for a few mos.=)
    A.D.P

Answer by A.D.P at 5:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010