Is this normal?

I have always known that my son has been a quick learner and the past month or so we have been working on words. He will be 8 months old on the 29th and can say the following (in correct reference)

No
Yeah
Hey
Hi-Yah (like in karate, my friend taught him that)
Mama
Dadda
Ma (for grandma)
Dod (which see to be in reference to the dog)
Baba (bottle)

and the other day he said water perfectly, though he hasn't repeated it and we haven't taught it so this could have been a fluke.

What is the normal vocabulary for an 8 month old?

Mrs.Robey_4ever

Asked by Mrs.Robey_4ever at 11:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You already know hes ahead. You already said so yourself so why are you fishing for compliments? You apparently already know the answer to the question. Most 8 month olds MAY say mama and dada. And not in correct reference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• http://infanttoddlerdevelopment.suite101.com/article.cfm/the_talking_eight_month_old

your child is a bit ahead of the curb id say, at 8 months he shouldn't be saying much of anything. But the fluke might just be him parroting, (mimicing what some one else has done but not knowing what it is and such) so if you want to enforce it when he takes a bath let him know what water is, say it often and keep it happy. don't get frustrated if he docent say it again hes probably just thinking about what else he can do to astound you ^__-
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yea, you know he is ahead...good for him
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 12:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• mama, dada, and baba are all that are expected from an 8 month old.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He's just reflecting what you've been doing. Yes, he's above average but let me caution you... early language development and high vocabularies are an Asperger's marker, too. That was one of my son's early signs, though none of us knew it at the time.

LIKELY there's nothing for you to worry about at all, but forewarned is forearmed.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son said Momma, tag, truck, hot, see, drink, bite maybe some more at 8 months. A little ahead.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• my daughter said her name at this age when looking in the mirror, without prompting!!
    BUT
    that all went away, her speech that is
    she is three now, just got done with autism dr who has said she has moderate autism

so, there is that
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 12:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thank you for the ladies who actually gave intelligent responses. I am not looking for compliments, I am looking to see what is normal and learn more about his development.. thanks for being rude about it and showing yourself though.

gdiamante: What is Asperger's marker?

lakoia: Thank you for the link, that is what I was hoping to get out of this.

As for those of you who decided to be snobby about my post.. this is my second son.. my first is 3 yrs old and he is at the development of my 8 month old only he doesn't crawl stand or walk... so if you can imagine (which I am sure you can't) this is a big difference for me, so I was curious to hear from other mothers what they think. Thanks though I will be sure to leave the post open until I can vote you down ;)
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 12:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• See more.. good info.. so fiatpax: them showing signs of being ahead isn't always a good thing then. My first son has Mitochondrial disease, I wander if something like this could be a sign of that...hmmmm something to look in to.
    Mrs.Robey_4ever

Comment by Mrs.Robey_4ever (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Sometimes being super ahead is a bad sign and a marker for Autism. However, not all kids who are way ahead have it. Or else they are just high functioning enough to not notice it. My son was WAY advanced, but, he has no Autism that anyone has noticed.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010