Anyone ever had this happen to their dog?

I have a 13 year old Boston Terrier. She's female. Today I let her outside to use the bathroom and she stayed out there longer than usual trying to use the bathroom. When she came back inside, I noticed blood was pouring out of her butt. I really don't think it's from her straining to poop because blood was flowing out, like a stab wound would. So I let her rest for a little while and checked her again and noticed blood was coming out of her pee hole too! We're trying to get in touch with the vet to see if they can squeeze her in today, but I was just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience? She's been pacing since she came in and acts like she can't lay down for more than a few minutes.

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 11:53 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pets

• It could be a number things...best of luck to you. I have a boston too.

Update us when you find out.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• at 13 yo it could be any number of things but i would get her into the vet asap due to the bleeding. could she have gotten into anything poisonous? or it could be a rupture of some sort. get her in asap i would wait for the vet to call i would just walk in and they would prolly take her in.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• bladder infection sounds like it, but a trip to the vet is teh best idea. it could be something worse, and bladder infections can kill a dog so the vest is your best choice.
    Lakoia

Answer by Lakoia at 11:55 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• :(
    I have no idea what that could be. I would think it would be easier to figure out if the blood was just coming out of one instead of both. Strange. My mom has a Boston Terrier too. He's about 7 years old. He's had some health issues..but nothing like that.
    I hope your doggy is okay.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 11:57 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You might want to also get her checked for parvo virus. I had just gotten my pit bull puppy and she had gotten all her booster shots and we were living on a military base, but some how she still had gotten parvo. Parvo will kill your dog. So it's good that you are going to the vet.
    armywife81803

Answer by armywife81803 at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't know about the blood but we had a 13 year old german shepherd who suddenly had trouble going to the bathroom, she would strain and just couldn't go poop. I'm not sure how long it lasted before my parents got her to the vet but it turned out to be a tumor or something (I was only 13 so I don't remember exactly), surgery would be very expensive and she was so old she might not survive it anyway, we had to put her down.

Take her to the vet ASAP and good luck.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 12:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I am so sorry to hear about your little sweetheart. I did go through this with my 14 year old retriever. This is unfortunately the beginning of a breakdown in the system. You may notice even after your vet gives your baby some meds, that you will have to face some facts of what is happening here.

It is not easy. The most you can do is comfort and love your aging girl. When my baby "Seaweed" went through this I noticed he would keep pacing. For a few months he just walked around in circles. The meds helped with pain though.

I am an animal lover, so my heart breaks when I hear about this type of situation. Give her a hug for me..
    MasterMindMom

Answer by MasterMindMom at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We had a shih tzu that did that. He had Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia. If you google it you will get some information.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 3:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The important thing here is to get her to a vet as soon as you can. It can be a number of things - some bad some very bad and they are too variable to even get into.
    Blood in any place is not good.
    Let alone both rear and vagina.
    (although maybe you're mistaken and its just dripping onto her vagina?)
    But in the mean time I would just comfort her the best you can, call the vet even if you can't get to them and ask them if there is anything you can do for her while you wait for your husband to go home.

I wish you and your sweetn dog the best of luck
    FooLynRoo

Answer by FooLynRoo at 6:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Is she spayed?? if not she could have an infected uterus called a pyometra. Its very serious if it is.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010