Do you have problems getting your kid to tilt their head to wash their hair?

My daughter is two and I just posted another question about her going from loving to hating bath time... but I was also wondering how do you get your kid to tilt their head back so you can wash their hair? I try tilting her head back whenever I go to wet her hair or rinse it and as soon as the water touches her head she jerks her head forward. The water isn't hot and it isn't cold.. so I know it's not that. I just dislike how she always gets the water and soap in her face (of course it's tear free).

poptart0325

Asked by poptart0325 at 11:58 AM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It can be difficult. My SIL had many problems with my niece when she was a baby. Her trick to it was those sun visors that just slide on like a hair band. They can be moved to rinse the sides but keeps the water from going over the face. You can easily find them at the dollar stores.

Another way you can make it easier on yourself is make her start washing her hair. She's a "big girl" so she can start washing her hair. Give her a big plastic cup and show her how to dump it over her head to rinse. Pretty soon she will figure it out.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 12:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Honestly..my 3 year old does that sometimes.. I just go ahead and dump the water on & yes it goes in her face. She will learn. Might sound mean, but it doesn't hurt her at all.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Give her a face cloth to cover her eyes & have her then tilt her head back. it gives them a sense of safety I guess. Someone told me to do that with my son. He hated having his hair washed, (when he was 1-2 hed bite if you tried)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 12:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i hate it too , my dd does the same thing, she is 21 months old, and as soon as she know's i am going to put water on her head she will look down!
    But sometimes i trick her and ask her whats on the roof and while she is looking up too see, i manage to get teh bubbles out of her hair..but i have to be quick about it..lol
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Why does she have to tilt her head? Just wash her hair and get it over with.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:01 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We never had them tilt their head. From a young age we taught them to just cover their face, keep their mouth and eyes closed and dumped the water over their head... They hated it in the beginning but they got used to it and now we don't have any issues...

They have cups at WalMart that have rubber on them that goes against their forehead to stop the water from going in to their face. We never used them by I know more than one mom that swears by them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My daughter NEVER wants to tilt her head back! Then she complains at ME when she gets suds or water in here eyes! lol
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• mine is three
    some times it is like washing and combing hair on a mermaid swimming at full speed
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 11:59 AM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My daughter does the same thing. She hates the water running down her face but refuses to tilt her head back and when she does she tilts it forward as soon as I start rinsing her hair out. So I just try and rinse her hair out as fast as I can.
    kanakake

Answer by kanakake at 12:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I always laid mine back with a cloth over there eyes. When they got a little older they didn't need to cloth anymore. I was always careful not to get it in there eyes and that built built their trust in me. Everything is a learning process.
    HelenCarlene

Answer by HelenCarlene at 12:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010