my 7 year old is severely constipated adult content

i have a 7 year old who only has a bowel movement MAYBE 2 or 3 times a month and he actually eats his vegetables...so what could be the problem? is it ok to give him exlax or any other kind of laxitive? what could possible be the health issues that we may have if he isnt "wasting" on a regular?

Jessica B.

Asked by Jessica B. at 12:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried fruit juice? Apple juice is best, but if it is really that infrequent I would take him to the doctor.
    momof3josephs

Answer by momof3josephs at 12:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you should ask his DR but i know when i was around that age i got constiapted from having hemroids and my mom put a suppository up my butt and i used to bathroom like literally 7 seconds after she stuck the suppository in me. LOL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:04 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• mirilax
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You really should be talking to his Doctor about this!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My niece has these issues too! What the pediatrician has told them is to give her a small dose of Miralax daily. They said it was not habit forming in any way, and that if they could use it long enough to get her going regularly, then work the dosage down, she should be able to go on her own then.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• that is not good . try giving him some warm prune juice...maybe he just needs a stool softner. does he feel like he needs to go but cant?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had a severe problem with constipation when I was 5. I remember it being very painful to poop..I remember telling my mom it felt like needles were stabbing me.
    She took me to the doctor and they put me on a daily medication for it.
    Before giving him any over the counter laxitives, I would consult with his doctor first.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• First,what is wasting?? He is not wasting regular???? Use apple juice or white grape juice,it will move his bowels!!!! Let me know how it works. Message me.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would DEFINATELY get him to the doctor ASAP. It is not normal at all to not go to the bathroom like that. It could be many things including blockages.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 12:06 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you could try that yogurt activia. its supposed to regulate all that.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 12:07 PM on Aug. 25, 2010