Gestational Diabetes...??

Did any of you have this? Should I be freaking out?? I took my first 1 hr Glucose Challenge and it came back high so Friday they are sending me for a 3 hr Glucose challenge after 3 days of a high carb diet...doc said its not certain yet if I have it but its a possibility. I have been reading up on it but would like some real life stories or advice. Thanks in advance for your responses!!!

Linda_PF

Asked by Linda_PF at 12:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was diagnosed with it at 16 weeks. You have no need to freak..lol.. It isnt that bad :) If you have ANY questions about it feel free to message me and id be glad to answer them for you :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I go for mine tomorrow and im nervous!! I really don't think its that bad as long as you keep it under control and eat right for the rest of your pregnancy and if your getting the test you shouldn't be that far away from delivery. Just think positive and do everything that the doctor tells you to!!
    ladybugky88

Answer by ladybugky88 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had it... it really wasn't that big of a deal for me. I had to test my blood sugar a few times a day and I controlled it all with a low carb diet. The hardest part was just watching what I ate. Babied tent to be bigger with this but I have big babies anyways.... my son was 9 lbs 8 oz and week early and healthy as a horse!!!! PM me if you have more questions... I'd be happy to help in any way I can ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had it too - It wasn't HORRIBLE by any means - mine wasn't able to be controlled by diet for long so then I had to take meds and test my sugar levels, then the last 2-3 weeks the meds were no longer helping so I had to give myself insulin shots -not nearly as bad as it sounds though mommy.. there is a class they will send you to and explain it ALL in full detail so you wont' walk away confused at all.. I still watched what I ate which meant no craving foods but I never had them bad anyway so that was a plus - I did have to be induced because they worried about the baby being too big - I was already showing at 3 months so everyone thought I was having twins by 6-7 months - baby was only 8 lbs 2 oz at 39 weeks though - Good luck - and like everyone else - email me if you have any more questions or would like more stories :)
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had it with both pregnancies. With my son, it was diet controlled. With DD, I had to be put on insulin.

You will have to follow a GD diet. If you don't your baby will be a higher than normal weight and could have problems at birth. It's also good that you exercise regularly during the remainder of your pregnancy, but any pregnant should be doing that anyway. The GD will most likely to go away after the birth of your baby, but you are most likely to develop type 2 Diabetes later in life. I did develop it 3 years later, but my doctor recently told me she thinks it's late onset of Type1.

Good Luck! it's really not that bad.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 12:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It really is not so bad. I had it. I lost about 20 lbs by following the diet guidelines they gave me. My daughter turned out fine. She was 7 lbs. 9 oz. I did have to use metformin for about 3 weeks right at the end. I got cold/sinus infection and couldnt get the sugars under control and the metformin worked super well for me. My levels were almost too low on it. Good luck. As soon as you have the baby it goes away.
    blchristensen

Answer by blchristensen at 12:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Thank you for all your answers its helping i am still really nervous, I have a big family history of diabetes and i am terrified to end up being an even higher risk now for it...=/ and am also scared of the size she will come out and the complications that may happen. I am just getting nervous and i know stressing is not good but I dont know what else to do. =/ thank you guys so much for all the info!!
    Linda_PF

Comment by Linda_PF (original poster) at 12:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ohhh and when you have to drink that crap for the test ask for it to be very cold and drink it with a straw... it does down better that way!!! LOL

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 12:35 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had GD with 4 out of my 5 pregnancies. It's really no big deal - they put you on a diet to control your carbs which actually always helped me keep my weight gain down, so there was less to lose after baby's born! I never had to be on insulin - I was diet controlled with #2 and #3, and I took an oral medication (glyburide) with #4 and #5. Being on the diet, I felt like I was eating all the time! (you have to have at least a snack every 3 hours or so) As long as you control your sugars, there shouldn't be an issue with baby's weight - my first one was my largest at 8 lbs 9 oz and I didn't even have GD with him!

Answer by missanc at 12:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I had GD when I was pregnant with my son. I was as freaked as you are about it. I was so upset after the 3 hour test & finding out that I did have it. I'm a carboholic, so it hit me where it hurts :( But looking back now, it really wasn't that bad. I mean, I had to test my blood sugar 4 times a day which kind of sucked...but you get used to it. And its for the sake of a healthy baby, you'll do anything. I changed my diet which was hard b/c at that point, I wanted to eat everything in sight! But it helped me keep my baby weight to a minimum....I only gained 24 lbs total! It was easier to lose that when everything was said & done. My son was born perfectly healthy & at an average weight (7lbs 11oz) and the first thing I asked for after having him was a coke...man did I miss soda! LOL! You'll be fine thouguh.
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 4:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010