Kids and bedrooms?

I'm a true believer that all kids should have their own bedrooms. However, I have been told that I'm just be unrealistic on that since I have two girls and one boy. For me there is just such a huge age difference in my 6 year old and 23 month old, that it isn't fair for my 6 y/o to be bothered all the time by her baby sister. My son and baby girl aren't going to share a room bc for one he is 5 and gender. So why am I being unrealistic or unreasonable? Shouldn't all kids have their own room and their own space to go too?

armywife81803

Asked by armywife81803 at 12:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• I am a firm believer in each kid having their own room. But if you don't have enough rooms in your house it's not always realistic. For us, We moved in to a home with 2 bedrooms. One for us and one for the baby - we NEVER planned on having more. Now, we are in the same 2 bedroom home and pregnant with number 3.... We simply can't afford to move in to a 4 bedroom, and honestly, I've never seen one around here anyways... When and IF that becomes an option, great, I would jump on the opportunity, but at this point it's not something we can do.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• if its possible...but I would put the girls together...boys together...sharing is a valuable lesson that needs to be learned early
    Patti L.

Answer by Patti L. at 12:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree with you..but some people just don't have the money to give there kids there own room. so some kids do have to share rooms!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 12:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have 4 kids, and I'll probably have 2 more kids in a 4 bedroom house. I don't have a choice. I'm not a millionaire, I can't buy a 7 bedroom house. If you have the room, then sure, if not, then they'll have to share.
    momov4kids

Answer by momov4kids at 12:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I shared a room with my sister; we are 6 years apart. I have 2 kids and they each have their separate rooms but that's because of gender. Even so, if they were of the same sex, I'd probably have them in the same room and use the extra room as my office and guest bedroom. I don't think all kids SHOULD have their own room - it's personal choice of the parents and if it's feasible to do so. And a space to go to can be anywhere in the house... not necessarily a bedroom. My son's preference is the family room and my daughter's is the living room. I don't think you're being unrealistic or unreasonable but you obviously differ in your opinion from others. Do what you want!
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• if its possible yes. But if you can't afford it , its something to just deal with .
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 12:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Yes, I think all kids should have their own bedroom. I have 5 kids (3 boys, 2 girls) and we moved into a house with 6 bedrooms (well, 5 bedrooms and an unfinished 3rd floor that we finished off with an extra bedroom up there). It definitely wasn't easy to find this house, but there wasn't any other option for me - it's just that important to me that they each have their own space.

Answer by missanc at 12:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• It's a nice thought but not always an option for all families. We have 5 kids and there is no way we could ever afford a 6 bedroom house. We have 3 bedrooms and, hopefully, some day will have 4 bedrooms but that means the kids share. Right now the 3 girls who are 10, 7 1/2 and 4 share one room and my 8 1/2yo son has his own room. When the baby is sleeping through the night he will share with his brother. There is almost 9 years between them but they don't have a choice.
    The older 2 girls have shared a room since they were 2 and 4 except a short span this past winter when the oldest shared with the youngest. During that time my son and middle daughter shared a room (for 3 years, 2 1/2 of those years the oldest was in the room with them).
    It's just life. Learning to share space is also a good lesson. I always had my own room and had a hard time dealing with roommates in college.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Tell them to enjoy that room to themselves now. They will be sharing in college and later in life with roommates. I don't think it's worth going broke with an ridiculous mortgage to ensure a child can close a door behind them. I think it might even be better that they learn to cooperate for private time with a sibling, or create a space within a shared room. Right now, mine have separate bedrooms, but I am not going to be upset if they end up sharing later.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 5:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't think you're being unrealistic at all. I have two boys that are only 26 months apart and they have their own rooms. There's just something about having your own space that I think is very important. I agree with you completely.
    kamsmommy17

Answer by kamsmommy17 at 12:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010