Need advice on weaning my bf baby.

I'm trying to wean my 1 yr old off the breast, has anyone tried putting the yucky tasting stuff used to stop thumb sucking on their breasts? I'm thinking maybe if it wasn't pleasant for her anymore she would stop on her own.

JordynnsMom

Asked by JordynnsMom at 12:43 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• a year old.. oh my gosh.. you should have weened a long time ago.. the best thing to do is just stop doing it, and give them sippie cups.
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 12:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Just stop and when the child goes to nurse give them a sippy cup with milk or juice. If you feel the child is too young for the sippy cup give them a bottle. Breast feeding is a wonderful time for a child and mother to bond, I nursed my youngest until he was a year and a half and had no problems just cutting him off. If the child is persisting to nurse you may consider another six months. Some have nursed until two, but I felt a year and a half was enough. Because of the bond established the child may also be seeking that security, holding the child close while they drink their bottle or sippy cup may also help during weaning.

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 12:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I should have added that she totaly eats on her own and uses a cup. The problem is when she gets tired during the day and at night. I've tried just stopping and it was a nightmare for everyone! That's why I was wanting to try something that would make her want to stop on her own.
    JordynnsMom

Answer by JordynnsMom at 1:17 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is really irritating to hear mothers say "you should have stopped a long time ago". The board of health says to nurse until your child is 24 months old. However, this is a personal decision that only you can make. I just weaned my 18 month old son, and nothing worked except for "cold turkey". I really did not want to do it but he was fine after two days and now sleeps through the whole night. I had tried previously doing the cold turkey and as you stated "it was a nightmare"! However, I didnt have a choice this time since I had to start a medication. The first night was awful! But, he is even happier now that he has more sleep.
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• cont... When he wanted the breast I would tell him that mommy was sorry and it was broken and didnt work. I repeated it constantly and gave him a lot of sympathy, because this is really hard on them as well as you. The best thing is not to let your child see you break down or get irritated. You have to remember that you are taking something away that comforts them. Its not an easy process but having only weaned a week ago it is possible. Good luck!
    sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree, is a wonderful experience to have that bond with your child. My daughter didn't want to stop either but I had to. Think sharp teeth, ouch. I didn't have any other choice. I just gave her the sippy cup and she went from there. I do miss that closenes with her.
    becky615

Answer by becky615 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• hey girl i am with you i am bf and i am stopping at 1 too! my dd is down too3-4 feedings a day she is 10 months! the she gets bm in a bottle and water in a cup she loves it
    Britt12-06

Answer by Britt12-06 at 3:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Just wanted to say congratulations for making it this long - your child is very lucky to have had such a long time nursing with mama - Way to go!
    mom2lukethomas

Answer by mom2lukethomas at 7:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• "a year old.. oh my gosh.. you should have weened a long time ago.. the best thing to do is just stop doing it, and give them sippie cups. "

Why? There is no need to wean a child before one. WHO recommends nursing until age 2. My 19 month old is going strong and won't be weaning ANY time soon! If the mom wants to wean for her own comfort/needs/ desire, etc. she should cut one feeding over the coarse of a few days. Gentle weaning is best. NOT stopping cold turkey. It will be hard on your breasts(engorgement) AND your baby. It just takes time.

Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 8:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2008