does anyone use or ever tried

those ultrasonic pests repellents that you plug into your wall? if so, do they really work? we can't afford to pay an exterminator to spray our house and we get lots of ants and also black widows and i worry about my children and pets getting bit by the spiders. not to mention the ants being everywhere. no matter how clean we are the ants show up and the spiders are just scary. is there anything that you use that is safe and effective if these aren't?

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Home & Garden

• In my opinion the wall plug ins are a waste. They never worked for me.

We had an ant problem for several years, horribly!!! We also had...EEEK...german roaches! Omg, that still gives me shivers! The mobile home next door to us is vacant and they keep coming over! So we ended up getting the Ortho Home Defense spray for outside and the inside spray in the blue trigger bottle. My DH also picked up these little walkthrough poison traps that stick in the ground against the foundation. I haven't seen and ant or roach in almost three months!

I am going to pick up some more to put in place for winter and pray I don't have to go through this any more. Good luck!
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I've been thinking abt buying a sonic device for my DD for her garage, hoping it works. I know outside if you lay oatmeal ard & I did in an out of the way corner, they eat that & it swell their stomachs & they die. Also a thin layer of molasses & br sugar. they get stuck in.Jam grape, and borax in plastic, they eat & take to colony & they die. Also heard they don't like cinnamon.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 12:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• They don't work. Your best bet is to hire and exterminator. All the wall units do is suck energy costing you monthly on your power bill.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:47 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have a spider problem. As much as I hate to use bug spray, I bought some at Wal-mart that is safe for kids and pets after it dries. I use that on the outside. I also found at walmart some environmentally friendly/kid safe/pet safe granules made of spearmint and an herb (I forgot which herb) to use on the inside. It doesn't kill bugs and spiders, but it does repel them. I also bought some peppermint oil and mixed it in a spray bottle with water and a little eco-friendly dish soap. That is also a good bug repellent that is kid safe. I probably spent about $14 in materials for all three.

Also, make sure your pet food is sealed and don't leave pet food sitting in bowls all day. That attracts the bugs, which attract the spiders.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 7:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Forget the ultrasonics. They didn't seem to do anything with bugs and messed with out electronics.

Borax (the old laudry soap --20 Mule Team Borax) can help keep ants out of the house. Believe it or not, a fine line of it around the house (extra at any known entries) messes up their ability to follow each other.

I've used Hot Shot (probably what lvpenquinois talking about) too and it works pretty well. Good luck!
    ReadingMama2

Answer by ReadingMama2 at 4:06 AM on Aug. 27, 2010