PLZ HELP!!!

I took my daughter (4months 2 weeks old) to the doctor and he said to start giving her cereal and 1st foods ..how do i start giving it to her and how ofter ext.

MiasMommy6908

Asked by MiasMommy6908 at 12:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Get rice or grain cereal, baby food isle. Mix with water, breastmilk, or formula according to box (I suggest a little thinner at first) and try it out (high chair or other seat?). Some babies will spit it out with their tongue (thrust) that usually means they aren't quite ready. We did cereal at breakfast and dinner. It doesn't replace milk/formula usually. With the foods they recommend veggies first and try one at a time to watch for allergies. Once you've tried all the veggies then do fruits (fruits are sweeter and they tend to not take veggies if you give them fruit first...). We used jarred baby food, some are organic, but had friends that made their own with inexpensive processors...good luck.
    bdano

Answer by bdano at 12:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My daughter is fourand ahalf monthes as well, and its best to start it in a bottle, then make a slit in the nipple so they can get used to the texture and new flavor. mix it with formula. Thats what im doing and it seems to be working
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 12:49 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Give it to her 3 times a day and try to feed her the same time every day. I would start out with half a jar along with a bottle/breast and work my way up.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I have just started feeding my 4 month old his first foods. I have actually been mashing up potatoes, avocado and bananas for him (not all at the same time). I just give him a little bit at a time (b/c he can't figure out how to swallow it yet). :) I have feed my babies (5 counting this one) once or twice a day when they are first learning. After they get the hang of swallowing, instead of spitting, I fed them at meal time and then BF all other times. Beware of too much banana, though. It constipates. Also, try to feed veges first so they don't get used to the sweetness of fruit. I fed fruits a lot with one, and she wouldn't eat veges. It may have been considence, but she was the only one who I had problems with. Good luck.

kcangel63

Answer by kcangel63 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I agree with the first poster. Although start with the RICE and later on move up to different grains when you know that she doesn't have any problem with the rice. Other than that, she's right on! Most Drs. will tell you to NOT put cereal in a bottle. It can be a choking hazard and doesn't teach them how to actually eat solids. After a while, you can do stuff like potatoes and mashed banana, but they still need all the fortified vitamins in the cereal for a long time, so always give the cereal too. (This is what my Dr. told me when he found out I wasn't doing cereal twice a day)

Good luck! PM me if you have any more questions!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 1:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Do NOT start by putting it in a bottle! The nipple can get clogged and it can be easier for her to choke.

Go get 1 box of the Gerber Rice cereal. Mix it very thin (I think there are directions on the box) for the first few feedings with formula or breast milk, whatever you use. It will be messy at first, no worries...

Then when she has a grasp on that... start introducing the first foods - One at a time, one a week. That way you can make sure she isn't allergic to any of them.
    RutterMama

Answer by RutterMama at 1:09 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• k what I do with my son is in the morning (usually his second feeding) I give him a tablespoon of rice or oatmeal and half of fruit ( I started him on apples and moved to pears and bananas) then the last feeding at night I give him another tablespoon on rice and more fruit!! Simple easy and messy!!!!! OHH and my son is 5 months...if your baby gets fussy during one of the baby food feedings just give her/him the bottle first (like 1 or 2 oz) then offer the baby food! GOOD LUCK and it's sooo cute when they open their mouth WIDE!!!
    JessTorres

Answer by JessTorres at 1:36 PM on Oct. 9, 2008