What age do you take your toddlers to the eye doctor for check-up? 1 years old?

I've read this infant see website that recommends taking babies to an eye doctor between the ages of 6 months and 1 year. Well, according to them my daughter is way past due for an eye check up. Her ped. recommended it also.

What age did you take your kids to the eye doctor for a check up? We would have to drive 90 miles to the nearest doctor.

rcbrown

Asked by rcbrown at 12:54 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• was she premature? Most of the time unless they were premature, they dont see them until they are two. your doctor might be seeing something that doesnt seem right to her. I would call the optometrist and see what their recommendations are.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yes, she was a month premature and weighted 4 lbs at birth.
    rcbrown

Answer by rcbrown at 1:22 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• It is recommended that all infants see an eye doctor by the age on 1yr. Unless you have reason to believe that your little one has an eye problem, right about at the 1yr mark is recommended. I took my daughter in right after she turned 1yr. If you schedule the appointment before your little one is 1yr, with a doctor participating in the InfantSEE program (see the www.infantsee.org website), the eye check will be free. The doctor I saw was great with my daugher; my daughter probably thought that she was just playing with him and checking out new toys.
    LsMamaL

Answer by LsMamaL at 1:47 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• unless showing signs of problems ill wait for preschool.
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 2:00 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I took my son in, found out he had lazy eye since he was about 2. They told me that you should take kids in around their 2nd birthday, sooner if you think there is a problem.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 2:21 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• The InfantSee program is great. I took my daughter in at about 9 months. Since the InfantSee program is free, why not take her in?
    The doctor we went to was great with my daughter and didn't try to sell us anything else. He told me everything looked fine and that unless I noticed any problems or had any concerns, she wouldn't need to be seen again until preschool or kindergarten. Like I said, it's free until the child turns 1 - why not go?
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:53 PM on Oct. 9, 2008