How do you discipline your child?

my husband and i are having trouble disciplining our 2yr old, when he does something i give him 2 warnings and then a slap on the butt. ( i was raised this way, and i don't hit very hard cause im worried about hurting him) but he still repeats the same bad habit he just got smacked for, he sometimes even laughs cause he thinks it funny.

The hubby says were just not beating him hard enough to get it through to him. (how he was raised)

He gets into things like the sugar jar, or the oatmeal and makes a mess. or he'll knock things off the counters to watch them fall, and some of them are glass so im worried hes going to hurt himself. so i cant ignore his behavior >_<

so i wanted to ask how do you moms discipline your kids when they were 2?

Lakoia

Asked by Lakoia at 12:39 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• To me, 2 is too young for spankings, hard ones anyway. They didn't work at all for my 2 year old. The only thing that really worked was the time out chair. Every time she did a particular behavior, she went straight to the time out chair. Not for very long, only like 2 minutes at a time.
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 12:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have a two year old. If she does something I don't like, I let her know. She gets another warning if she doesn't stop (ie..."If you don't listen to Mommy/Daddy, then you are going to get a spanking/go to time out.". If she still continues then she gets either a spanking or a time out. If she does something she knows she's not supposed to do like hitting/screaming, she gets an immediate timeout.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well with my daughter just telling her no worked 98% of the time, so until she was like 2 1/2 we didnt have to do much, but then started doing time outs, or a quick smack on the behind.
    My son is much more difficult, my husband really hates time outs so we decided to spank, but it doesnt work, and I think it just causes him to think its ok to hit when someone does something he doesnt like. So I do time outs with him. But I think the big key is that you have to be 100% consistent. For certain things he gets 1 warning, like if he leaves the grass where he is allowed to be outside he gets a warning to get back on, but if he hits or bites, then its automatic time out, if you let him get away with it once, then he will do it again and again. You have to be completely consisten which is hard, but I think its the most important part of any form of dicipline whatever you decide to do.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:44 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• these behaviors are totally normal for his age. he is exploring his world and boundaries. time outs work well but you have to stick to your guns and be consistent.
    Megan R.

Answer by Megan R. at 12:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Time out.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• After reading how to talk so kids will listen I came up with a way that seems to work well with my 2 yr old. She likes to scream. So I count to three, then place her in time out. Not for too long as she just screams there. I then go and ask her if she wanted this or that. Like "Did you want me to read a book while I was trying to help your brother?" She'll nod and I'll say that I will read after but she has to wait. It works, she waits.
    Another thing is to write a note. Yes even for a 2 yr old. I write her a note when I'm cooking that says "Please stay out of the kitchen while mommy cooks dinner" I read that to her and she stays out. Sits at the table and colors or something.
    I really advise reading the book. Even if you don't do it entirely their way, it has alot of good points and very helpful advice for kids of all ages.
    VolpeFemmina

Answer by VolpeFemmina at 12:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have 3 rules and they are very clear. Can't her others, yourself or the environment (stuff is in that one). Everything else is up for discussion.

I don't hit people (cause you go to jail for that in the real world). I can quickly get in there and stop a action to make my words mean something. They have to come in from an area if they can't do the rules. I give a few chances to "try again" to do the rules but if they really are too tired or in an environment that is a "set up" for rule breaking we leave.

Lots of talk about stuff in hindsight when kids are in a different frame of mind. We talk about being safe, keeping others safe and that I will help them until they are older and can do the rules all by themselves~

I think kids will push until they find the boundaries of the world. I'm pretty clear with boundaries and it seems to help with testing~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:53 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I meant to say hurt instead of 'her".....(meaning for 200 Alex)
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:57 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I give my toddler time outs. Some days I'm afraid he will be in there all day and get discouraged that it's not working. Some days he get one time out and he's good. As I'm bringing him to time out, I tell him what he's going for and then when time is up I remind him why he was in there. I tell him to say sorry to the appropriate person for the offense and I give him a kiss. I have slapped his hand multiple times when he's touching something he shouldn't, but I think that has taught him to slap me when he's mad...

Toddlers are HARD!!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• put these things away( or higher up) or don't allow him in the kitchen with out supervision. My son can open the fridge and takes all the milk and water containers out and starts drinking them. If my husband and I see him go in the kitchen were up and we get in there before he can get into anything. He doesn't do it very often anymore
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010