Could your doctor be calling you names behind your back? Would it bother you even if you were receiving good care from him/her?

The NY Times ran an article about doctors using "battlefield" humor when discussing their patients with colleagues. Would you fire an otherwise good doctor if he/she called you a whale, old bat, or some of the other names mentioned in the article behind your back?

How often do you think this happens?

Cafe Meghan

Asked by Cafe Meghan at 12:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Just for Fun

• If we do it, they do it. Just the same as us we don't want what we said to get back to the person we're talkin about. So as long as it doesn't I don't have a a problem with it. But if they do get caught the could be in serious trouble.
    Oktobre

Answer by Oktobre at 1:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Doesn't everyone that works with the public, regardless of job title...mutter about the clients as they leave?
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Well...having worked in medical facilities, with doctors and nurses...I've heard some stuff. Its mostly just a humorous comment. Things like that, I tend to think just makes the day pass on by with a little humor. Is it right? No, probably not. But in real life..people and thier quirks,personalities..ARE funny.Most medical professionals keep that kind of stuff behind closed doors and patients never get wind of it. Now, I think I would be insulted if I heard that my doctor was talking about me behind my back and depending on what they said, I may choose to get a different doctor because I would then feel too uncomfortable with them.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i'm sure they do...we have nick names for customers at my job. i wait tables though.
    we have wiggy (a woman who can't put her wig on strait)..the 2 dolla family (a family of 5 who tips 2 dollars no matter how much they spend)...my co workers tease me and call this one guy my boyfriend (its this 70 yr old man that only wants me to serve him and he talks dirty to me)

I'm sure doctors do it...they gotta have some fun, right?
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I couldn't care less what my doctor thinks of me. The only time I ever see a doctor is when I have a sever issue... And as long as the care is good, what do I care what he thinks of me personally... I worked in food service, and you would fall over if you heard some of the things said about customers, but as long as they get their food, I can guarantee you most of them don't care.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Doctors talk about their patient's all the time, they just are allowed to say names. I too have worked in food service and it is funny how a fake yet seemingly genuine smile and good food can turn into nastiness after the customer has left. Same goes for teachers and they talk about parents. It's all gossip and we are so used to doing it and about anybody we can.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• as long as it is not to other patients and not in my presence and he is good at his job, I don't care.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think I would only because it’s just lack of respect for me and others. It’s just lack of professionalism and etiquette; especially for a person in his profession as role models for other to follow.  Not right.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Certainly this isn't new information. Heck, friends do the same things to their friends when they're aggravated (well not ALL, but you know what I mean). I think it's ok to vent in the proper place but that's where it needs to stay. And NEVER take it out ON the patient.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 3:59 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Honestly, they are human just like us. If we get impressions of people good or bad, they can too. I think it's natural.
    sheli2007

Answer by sheli2007 at 8:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010