UPDATE** What do you think of the charges?

Update: TPM reports that the passenger, a 43 year-old Asian man named Michael Enright, has been charged with “attempted murder two as a hate crime, assault with a weapon as a hate crime, aggravated harassment second degree because of race and religion, and criminal possession of a weapon.”

This is the man who stabbed the Muslim Cab Driver in NY

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 12:43 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To be driving on 911 and witness what happened to a city that was his home for over 20 years, to be treated like the enemy by his fellow countrymen was demolishing. But he was not bitter. He was not full of hatred. He quietly said, “This is my home. This is my country. They just don’t understand. They may never understand. I pray for them.”
    ____________________________________________________

Love your enemies and pray for those that hurt you. Where have I heard that, now?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Woah. Thanks for posting. This is exactly what I was afraid of happening; the mosque being built will give all kinds of crazy people a vendetta to go out and kill the Muslims. They have to add extra charges for the hate crime just to keep it from happening again! I hope this isn't the beginning of something...
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 12:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Oh wow. I hate to say it but I knew things like this was going to happen.

It's sad, but true.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 12:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Incidentally, Bellevue Hospital is not only an appropriate place to have taken the passenger owing to its work treating mental illness, but also for healing in the wake of the 9/11 attacks: the city recently awarded Bellevue $16 million to develop the World Trade Center Treatment Center, which will “provide free health evaluation and medical and mental health treatment to those exposed to dust or fumes.” Let the healing begin.

http://www.mediaite.com/online/cab-driver-stabbed-by-passenger-who-asks-are-you-muslim/

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:45 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't really know what you're referencing but I think they would have to charge him with a hate crime if he did it because the guy was Arab. If he just happened to be Arab and was randomly killing, then maybe not.... do you have the link to what happened? I'm out of the loop
    crystalhuskey

Answer by crystalhuskey at 12:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The man got in his cab, asked him if he was a Muslim..when he answered YES, the man stabbed him

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• one Muslim man:

The one cab driver that has stayed seared in my mind, that haunts me even now, was an older man, a Muslim, who had been a U.S. citizen for over 20 years. His accent was thick and his patrioticism fierce. He loves this country, he is an American citizen. He told of the dozens of times since 911 he has had passengers, fellow Americans, scream at him, tell him to go back to the Middle East, call him names, slander him, curse him, spit at him, blame him.

To be driving on 911 and witness what happened to a city that was his home for over 20 years, to be treated like the enemy by his fellow countrymen was demolishing. But he was not bitter. He was not full of hatred. He quietly said, “This is my home. This is my country. They just don’t understand. They may never understand. I pray for them.”

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He should;d be hanged in the street to prove this is not American way and will not be taken lightly.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 1:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010