My 8 yr old son is so naughty, hits when he's been wronged, hurts children, breaks things, gets awfully angry when he doesn't get his way, flips out when he is told no, losing friendships becAuse he is always the one causing trouble. I need him to stop and listen. He won't listen to my husband, but listens to me much better.

Susanhelpme

Asked by Susanhelpme at 12:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• have you thought about counseling for him to see why he is so angry?

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• i would try counseling..but he sounds like a canidate for ADHD...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 1:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• first, he is doing stuff that is "not OK" he is wonderful human working on his stuff. He needs to stop himself and if he can't, the someone else will (police when he is an adult). Have to stepped back to make sure he doesn't have an auditory processing issue? Can he listen and understand you or is he faking it (cause kids with processing stuff hide it).

What is he good at? What does he seek out? Can he run? LIkes horses? Swim? I'd find an action packed plan for him. Ask him for his input and honestly tell him he is worth too much to be causing so much chaos and you will help redirect his energy and hopefully expend some, get good at new stuff (take 7 years to get good at most stuff).
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 1:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I would not jump to the conclusion of any type of learning problem. Like me, my son has a discipline problem. What really helped me is the book "1-2-3 Magic".
    I think parents feel like they are faliures if they admit that we are having a problem and do not know where to turn when our kids are being naughty and we dont know how to handle it. I know I feel lost sometimes!
    I think its easier for some parents to blame the behavior on a "learning" problem than to be strong and admit to the real problem, discipline!
    Try it, "1-2-3 Magic" if one follows it exactly, it will work. Be strong.
    mamalana25

Answer by mamalana25 at 12:40 AM on Aug. 26, 2010

• i didn't get into the whole storie first of all. i have taken him to a psychiatrist, a psychologist, two counselors at school, my friend who is a psychologist. all of them deny him having ADD, ADHD, bipolar, etc. He told one he wants me to never say no and let him drive his 4-wheeler all day. I have given him as much exercise and outlets as i can think of. he is an avid 4wheeler obsesed kid. he rides it constantly. he plays on a soccer team, is very determined and physical. he will mow the lawn, work in the yard, fix things, take the training wheels off the bike for his younger brother, practically potty trained himself at 27 months. We also have an inground pool, so he swims a ton. I have also done the 1-2-3 magic, but my husband won't stick with it. i find it works for me and when he's laxed with it, it goes to pot. thanks for the advice, but unless my husband is on board, i can't seem to get the 1-2-3 to work. help
    Susanhelpme

Comment by Susanhelpme (original poster) at 12:59 AM on Aug. 26, 2010