We have raised a grand daughter who is continually running away "to be on her own" She is 17, mentally and emotionally challanged and does not make good decisions. We are praying for her to return home soon and get back in school. She tells different stories to dfferent family members, should we try to help her or put her in a group home of some sort till she is 18 in late January '09??? this is heavy on my heart need feed back.

She has ditched school so long we can go to jail for her not attending in our area. She has called for he first time in months, she says she will come home and wants to bring a friend. She has ran away numerous times with the assistance of an adult at school [that has been reported]. She says she is coming home and 10 minutes later is on the phone asking her aunt for rent money since she has to work on Friday, the designated day of her so called return. She is bi-polar , refuses medication, and is very out of control. We know that she is into drugs and alochol by her own admission. If we get our hands on her I feel she will not attend regular school so i am considering internet, there are people at the local school who have a lot to say to her on a good day, i can almost imagine what would be said if she goes back now... NOT . I need thoughts , ideas, feedback, HELP!!> Diane/az

Dianeaz

Asked by Dianeaz at 1:04 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• if she wont follow the rules then yes she needs to be placed somewhere... then if she runs its a bad thing, shell leanr the hardway
    SLVN_Jen

Answer by SLVN_Jen at 1:06 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Hello there! PM me, I think I can help you with insight at the very least. Although I'm not bi-polar, I was that girl, not that long ago.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:15 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I can only imagine how hard this is. I do think that the best for her right now would be to be in a group home. It is very hard when you are trying to do what is best for her and she is turning her back on you. It also sounds like she knows that you care so she can almost take advantage of that.

I would look into the group home and see what they say. I am sorry that I can not be of more help. I wish you luck and will keep you in my thoughts.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I went through this with my sister. After every other family member trying to help her as well. I got an Emergency Medical Arrest Warrant issued against her. She was picked up and detained at the hospital for evaluation and then evaluated in the psych ward as well. I've been through a lot with her and it's been a really long road. She was already out of school but I would imagine that at this point school is the least of your worries. If you get her in the system you won't have to worry about going to jail for her not being in school. Please feel free to message me if you like.
    Best of luck.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• The medical arrest warrant sounded kind of harsh when I read my answer again. To clarify..I did it because she was really sick and wouldn't take care of herself. She was homeless and I was affraid for her safety. It was a way of getting her off the streets and was suggested by my counties mental health department. The police officers involved were very gentle and kind to her. It wasn't a scary thing for her until she got to the hospital and realized she couldn't just walk out on her own.
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I think a group home is just giving up on her,I would push to have her admitted to a hospital for eval, and start the process of being her legal guardians so when she turns 18 she cant run wild and continue to make bad choices.Good luck,Robin
    ilovecoffee95

Answer by ilovecoffee95 at 9:28 AM on Oct. 10, 2008

• If you are going to do something then you need to do it before she is 18 and you no longer have rights. My daughter really needs help and I am not able to get her to go for the help. She is 19 soon to be 20.
    Good Luck!
    PRMD03

Answer by PRMD03 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• We have been her legal guardians for quite some years. My husband says we should not be her guardians when she becomes an adult, for the very reason that we will be responsible for her bills , damages to herself and others. He also feels we will be on a lirfelong chase to find her again and again.She called and said she was coming home on Friday. My husband was so very happy and excited that he would see her again and she would be home until at least till january when she turns 18. As usual she is a no-show. She told him she was packed and waiting for her ride home... She has hot made it yet.
    Dianeaz

Answer by Dianeaz at 11:51 PM on Oct. 10, 2008

• I agree with a group home however my husband will not allow that to come out of his mouth into the air. He just loves her so much and has no clue to the danger she is in off the reservation in a world she is not acustom to.. She is very nieve and gullable to what people tell her. She never believes us over her "friends" and she has never met a stranger. She almost got into a car in california with a known molester /murderor except that a neighbor recognized him and saved her. She also knows her mom as well. That is why we have raised her out here on the Reservation where it is much safer for her to grow up. Now she is just not ready to be on her own.
    Dianeaz

Answer by Dianeaz at 11:55 PM on Oct. 10, 2008