My 10 yo wants contacts.

I wasn't planning on looking into contacts until he was at least 13 or 14. When do most kids get contacts?

sokkamum

Asked by sokkamum at 12:58 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I just had this talk with the doctor and she really suggested 13 as the magic age for contacts. It is hard because as a Mom you want to shelter your little ones from everything in the world, you don't want them to feel different and you want them to feel great about themselves. Glasses can have negative effects on self image that are hard to deal with because it has to do with peer pressure and preconceived ideas of normal. When we are out as odd as it sounds I point out all the kids that have glasses so that my little ones does not feel alone. She looks at the other kids and sure enough they look normal or handsome or pretty and she gets some type of self assurance from that. Another thing for us was investing in a few different pairs of glasses so she can accessorize. Sears has kids glasses as low as fifty dollars and the lenses are free on kids glasses so she always has a few options at a time. Sorry for the novel!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:40 AM on Aug. 27, 2010

• Ten is too young. Contacts are a lot of work. You don't want to mess around with your eyesight.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:25 PM on Aug. 26, 2010

• Having been a wearer of contacts..I'd have to say no to a 10 year old getting them. They are a lot of work and if not properly taken care of, can cause some serious eye issues and infections.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I got contacts when I was 13, But I think 10 is way too young.
    Miss.KelliAdams

Answer by Miss.KelliAdams at 1:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I have been wearing contacts for a long time but I think thats a little young. I have a 10 year old and I don't think he would be able to properly take care of them....It is a responsibility. I mean I still have to remind him about everything. But if your son is a little more mature maybe you should take that into consideration too.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:03 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I first tried them at 16 when I first needed glasses. It'd be iffy for a 10 year old. He/she would have to be very responsible. You could ask the eye doctor for test lenses to see how your kid likes them in their eyes and to show they can care for them. Test contacts are clear so they'd have to still wear glasses but the cost is little to nothing. Good luck!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I think a responsible child deserves contacts when they need them.
    Susanhelpme

Answer by Susanhelpme at 1:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I got mine for my 11th birthday.
    Shell89

Answer by Shell89 at 5:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• 10 is not to young if you think that they can handle the responsibility of cleaning the contacts, cleaning hands EVERYTIME they put them in or take them out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:54 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• We will allow our daughter to get them in a few months when she turns 13. She's been wearing glasses since she was 2.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 11:14 AM on Aug. 26, 2010