Hi, I just had a newborn, my older girl is 7 so im a little "out of the game" i was just wandering whats the best thing to give or to do to a baby who has colic???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh I feel for you. There are lots of things that u can try. First of all, my ped suggested lots of things but what really worked was a combination of Hyland Colic Tablets. They r available at walmart, riteaid, cvs etc and are perfectly safe even for newbies. the tabs dissolve instantly on there tongues and they can b given every 15 mins. They worked on our sons like a charm and Quick! Also, a pediatric size hotwater bottle, wrapped in a towel and placed on the babies belly while you walk her around esp. outside if the weather permits. My boys hated driving in the car! so that never worked for us. Her colic could also be major gas trouble - so you can try Gripe Water which I think works better than Mylecon drops
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I know for my son he liked being walked around. Sometimes I would put him in the car and drive him around until he feel asleep.

With my daughter I had to get a carrier, like a Bjorn one. She cried all the time and I was getting nothing done so the DR suggested that. It worked like a charm. She was being held and my hands were free to do the dishes.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Also - try not to let her get overstimulated early on in the day - u know - don't let her be handled by LOTS of people. Try to keep overstimulating noises or visual disturbances at bay, that way by the time evening rolls around, she is still relaxed and not feeling the need to scream her head off to self soothe. Oh and don't let her get OVERLY tired. Babies who r overly tired very rarely fall asleep w/o major eruptions before hand - to help settle themselves. I hope some of this helps for you! Good Luck
    mommyof5boys543

Answer by mommyof5boys543 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• My son liked pressure on his tummy, so I would rock him laying face down on my arm, If you're breastfeeding, don't eat dairy, caffeine, alcohol, or anything acidic or gassy.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:11 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• There's a book (and a video, since you probably don't want to wait) called "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Dr. Harvey Karp. He has amazing techniques for getting a crying baby to stop. It has definitely come in handy with our son!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• "The Happiest Baby on the Block" is certainly worth the read. It showed us how to properly swaddle. We would swaddle our son and sit on an exercise ball and bounce him. This was very helpful in calming him. Also eliminating dairy from my diet helped a lot as well.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 3:20 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• thanks for all of your suggestions i will def look for that book...looks like i will be doing a lot of reading swaddlling bouncing and walking lol thanks again!!!!
    Anonymous