Am I right or is He right?

My husband thinks its wrong for our two year old to be playing with duck tape, he thinks its sticky and loves it, he docent do anything dangerous with it, but occasionally it goes to his mouth, he loves putting things in his mouth and hes 2. things like strings re his favorite things to play with, but he docent actually eat them just toys with it between his teeth and toung.

My idea is to correct the items like instead of sting he should play with floss, or instead of duck tape he should play with stickers.

My husband thinks we should break the habits now through discipline and repetition.

whose right about all this and what should i do?

Lakoia

Asked by Lakoia at 1:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would probably say that the floss and stickers idea is the best. I would want my kids playing with string!!
    janieishappy

Answer by janieishappy at 1:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I don't see why it is a problem for him to be playing with duct tape in the first place and why it is a 'habit' that you need to break him of?
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Toddlers are sensory-motor learners. That means they learn by using thier bodies and thier senses to explore things.

Limiting the amount of sensory experiences your child has will NOT promote brain development, in fact, it will prohibit it.

DH is 10000000% wrong wrong wrong.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• its mainly a "bad habit" because he trys to take it with us to the park or store and everyone looks at us like wtf are you doing to your child ? taping them up
    or with the strings he wips them around and throws spit at people, but not on purpose.
    Lakoia

Comment by Lakoia (original poster) at 1:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Here is some information you can share with DH about the importance of sensory experiances in early childhood development.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Promoting-Childrens-Sensory-and-Motor--Development
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• since he does still put stuff in in mouth, I don't necessarily think duck tape or stickers are a good idea. I get that he's 2 and likes to explore things but if he is playing with something like a sticker or piece of duck tape and it's in his mouth and he falls or gets the hiccups or laughs unexpectedly hard then he could inhale it and those sorts of things can be harder to remove because of their shape and texture. Heimlich maneuver. I guess in that case the problem would be more the putting it in his mouth than the actual item. Our toddler gets to check out all sorts of things but typically if he puts something in his mouth, it goes bye bye for awhile.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 1:50 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• even if you are watching him. string can choke if he swallows a tiny piece it could choke him.. :( the littlest things that people don't think about is usually what can be bad for their child.. Duck tape is not safe i would not let him have it by him self. its okay if his parents were right there eyes on him. And the answer on floss.. are you kidding me
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 3:46 PM on Aug. 25, 2010