Where can I find a GOOD list of food options to eat if I have Gestational Diabetes?

This is my first pregnancy at the age of 35 and have just learned that I have Gestational Diabetes. I have been searching the web looking for a list of foods that will be healthy for me and the baby. Everywhere I go is a run-around and I can't find a simple list of foods that would be good options to eat.

kibi

Asked by kibi at 1:10 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• The best advice I can give you is to make an appointment with a dietician that is wellversed in GD or an endocrinologist.
    I have had GD twice and been insulin dependent as exercise and diet alone did not work for me.
    My last pregnancy I lived on scrambled eggs, sweet potatoes, bananas and peanut butter. Those were the only things that I could eat without my glucose levels going beserk.
    The trick is to find out what works for you...protein is great for GD as it does not contain many carbs or simple sugars.
    For breakfast, I would generally eat eggs and bacon or sausage- lots of protein... snack- banana and PB....lunch- salad usually ...snack- cheese or PB/ banana....Dinner- protein, veggies, starch....
    It's been 2 yrs so I can't remember the exact ratio for my meals.. if I remember I'll pm it to you...
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:00 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I'm surprised that your OBGYN didn't give you a list. Your Primary care physician should also have one or be able to direct you where you can get one at.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 3:02 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My OB always sent me to a nutritionist that specialized in GD to help me set up a meal plan. Along with a blood sugar monitoring kit they also gave me a little booklet where I could look up foods and how many carbs were in the food. You can eat just about any food (except sweets), it's just about how much and what you eat with it, so that may be why you are having a hard time finding a simple list. My food choices especially for breakfast and lunch became a little monotonous simply because with other kids to care for (I had GD with my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th pregnancies), there were things I knew I could eat that wouldn't send my blood sugars soaring.

Answer by missanc at 3:17 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Im guessing because I am on Medicaid the doctor did not advise me to go to a nutrition specialist. I asked for a list of things that I should be eating and he only recommended that I try the South Beach diet. My main problem is that I am a bartender and need to bring in easy things that dont require me to cook and that can be prepared before I go into work. My workplace is very accomidating at allowing me to bring in food to eat while I am behind the bar, but I need things that can be easily and quickly put away should someone come up from the beach and order food or drinks. I cant really have a spread of food or plate laying around. It just doesnt look professional.
    Thanks for the suggestions and ideas so far though. Im still looking into things and also have had some friends on FB give me some suggestions :)
    kibi

Comment by kibi (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• spk 2 a dietician or google
    san78

Answer by san78 at 7:30 AM on Aug. 30, 2010