3 yr old and veggies!!!!

I posted this in one of my groups, but didn't get much response, so I figurede I would try here!
My daughter will eat veggies, they just have to be covered with ranch dressing. Lots and lots of ranch! I am super happy that my baby girl, almost 3 hehe, love broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, and celery, I am just not so happy about the amount of ranch she is eating with it. It's not very healthy for her is it?
(side note: as I am typing this, the ad on the top of the page is for ranch! Thought that was funny!)

IWantLotsOfKids

Asked by IWantLotsOfKids at 1:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• They make yogurt based ranch in the produce section... Marie's maybe. That would be a little healthier or make your own dip. If she is eating the veggies good for you... give her a little ranch and tell her that is all she gets if you want to play tough guy but personally if she is eating it dont ruin a good thing:)
    mom-x-2

Answer by mom-x-2 at 1:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You can also make your own ranch by buying the packets and using yogurt instead of mayo.

Lots of kids do this and over time use less and less ranch. If it keeps her eating veggies, let her have it.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If it gets her to eat her veggies, go for it. I'm not a doctor or nutrionist but I don't think the ranch is going to hurt her.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 1:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• as long as she eats the veggies who cares she will get sick of the ranch but if you want you can shred the veggies into food. my son won't eat them so I shred them finely into everything and he does not know it
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 1:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I make my own healthy ranch. I get the packets of ranch mix and the store brand plain, low-fat yogurt. I put a paper towel in a strainer and dump the yogurt in. Put that over a bowl to drain in the fridge over night. This thickens up the yogurt so it is more like Greek yogurt for half the cost. I then make the ranch dressing using the yogurt in place of everything else (I think it calls for mayo and milk?) When I first started making it this way I did use a bit of mayo. So if it called for 1 cup of mayo/milk I would put 2 Tablespoons in the measuring cup first, and then fill it the rest of the way with the thickened yogurt.
    Personally, I like it better with the yogurt, plus yogurt has TONS of health benefits, so you are now making her veggies even better for her. If you need to be sneaky, just clean out the ranch bottle when it is empty, and refill it with your own yogurt ranch.
    JessieAtHome

Answer by JessieAtHome at 3:16 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• WOW! I can't get my 3 yr old to touch a veggie, even smothered with something yummy, or hidden under something he loves! Way to go, Mama! I love making my own ranch with yogurt. That will really make it healthy. Go for it!
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 8:15 AM on Aug. 26, 2010