What can I give my poor 11 month old?

My baby is just miserable! He's not sleeping well at all, he's got a runny nose, and his eyes are watery. I'm not quite sure if he's teething(he is drooling a lot) or an actual cold. I just gave him some Motrin to see if that helps, but is there anything else I can give him to help him? I do have some children's benadryl, but I don't know if it'd be ok to give him.

bethanysmom1007

Asked by bethanysmom1007 at 1:11 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• call his dr. before the benadryl, sounds like allergies not teething,
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 1:12 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't give the benedryl. That is an anti-histamine and won't do any good at all unless it is an allergic reaction. You can always call your pediatrician's office and ask the nurse.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• you should call your dr and see if you can and probally make an app to make sure that he is okay
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 1:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I wouldn't give him the benadryl just yet since you just gave him the motrin. But I would call the Doctor ask what they have to say about it.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 1:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• No, I wouldnt do the children benydryl.
    The motrin should help.
    If you would like some other things to try...they have a homepathic over the countr vitamin c plus tablet for babies and children I like to give my daughter and son when they arent feeling too good. They make one for teething too.
    They are called C-Plus Cold Tablets made by Hylands. You shoul dbe able to find them at a Walgreens,CVS, maybe even Walmart.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• do you have baby rub - vicks? also do you have a humidifier? Those are the two things I use when the little guy is congested. You may have to use a nebulizer that would be prescribed by your doctor - that's the only medicinal approach I would use.
    amw529

Answer by amw529 at 1:15 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree about the humidifier, maybe some vicks vaporub (or if you have a humidifier like I do, you can buy vicks tabs to put in the humidifier & it'll make the air come out smelling like vicks). You can try to prop his head up a little for when he's sleeping (by putting a pillow or blanket UNDER his mattress so he doesn't suffocate). Use an aspirator to unclog his nose some? I hope hse feels better soon!!
    MamaBloom777

Answer by MamaBloom777 at 5:09 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Johnson's Vapor bath, nursing/feeding in a steamy bathroom will help a lot too (forces him to breath out of his nose with the steam). The motrin will probably help a lot though.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 5:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010