do i need a license to have a home business?

I want to start making homemade gift baskets out of my home.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Money & Work

• Only if you are preparing any of food items to go in the baskets yourself. Then you would need a health department certificate.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 1:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Your best bet is to check with your local Chamber of Commerce and get all the information straight from them. Laws about these things vary from state to state and can even vary from town to town. Save yourself a hassle later and do your homework now.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Depends on your county and state regulations. Check on your states website. Some HOA's do not allow home businesses so check that too.
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 1:20 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• If you plan to be a legitimate business as opposed to just making/selling them as a hobby, then yes, you most likely need to obtain a license and possibly business insurance (neither of which is terribly expensive). I agree about checking w/ the Chamber of Commerce; you might also check out the Small Business Administration website for additional information.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 1:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• The licences and permits you need will vary from state to state and city to city. Check with the local departments of taxation.

Also, if you are interested in starting a business, I invite you join my business support group here on CM.

HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yeah i sell gift baskets but i am a contractor for a company so i dont have to have a license but if you want to sell personally then yes you need to go to your county or city and apply for a license and a tax id number
    swaney06

Answer by swaney06 at 4:33 PM on Aug. 25, 2010