HELP - lice infestation over AND OVER again?

We need help. Alot. We've talked to dr's, everyone. My family, my mother's, my sister's and my aunt's family ALL keep getting reinfested. It's disgusting. Makes me feel like a nasty person which I am not. We've done all we can. We clean clean clean, laundry, bag up stuff, vaccuum, put treatments in our hairs, comb comb comb.. to NO AVAIL. Nothing is working. It's come to the point we cannot afford lice treatments and the dr's are unwilling to continue prescribing it saying it's bad to use it so much. Most of us now use rubbing alcohol in our heads. It's been MONTHS. We all keep getting it back. And there is no way we can stay away from each other even if that did help. We're all reliable on one another. PLEASE HELP. What can we do? I want it gone. Our heads cannot take it anymore whatsoever. Poor kids too... What can we do? Anyone, anything...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:14 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• first bag up all the pillows and stuffed animals and leave them outside for a couple of days in the sun...then get the ridx spray and spray all beds, couches and everything else...use the ridx shampoo one more time and have nobody sleep together....btw have you tried mayo in your hair...if you put mayo in your hair and put a shower cap on and sleep in it...it should help get rid of it...if you need more advice message me and i can help
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 1:18 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• best way is to soak their head in olive oil over nite and so this every other day vacum all beds if u have a steam cleaner do that 2
    CiaraD

Answer by CiaraD at 1:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• You may need to get your house sprayed and get everyone treated at the same time. This article has some great suggestions: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef607.asp
    QuillingDiva

Answer by QuillingDiva at 1:19 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Have you tried tee tree oil? this always works on lice. I would bomb the house, like REALLY bomb the house & go stay somewhere else for a few days. There has got to be some kind of gas that can kill those bastards.

Tee tree oil is very strong. Mix it with shampoo & leave it in your hair for about 1/2 hour. Do it for several days. Also, put some tee tree oil in your shampoo to use regularly, this will keep them from coming back.

Lice only lays eggs in the hair, so you're obviously not getting all the nits out. I know it's a Pain in the ass, but you're going to have to get that comb out after the tee tree treatment & take out any nits (eggs) attached to the hair for 2 weeks. They live for two weeks, so if you don't get them all out, they'll hatch & reinfest. You need the powder & spray for your bedding & keep up with it for weeks & vaccum every day. If you are really anal about it, you CAN get rid of them....seriously!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:23 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• OKAY...this is extreme. It DOES work. BUT..it does have a downside.
    Put Vaseline in everyones hair. It somethers the lice. It works, I've had to do it on myself because I have really long, thick curly hair and I wasnt about to cut it.
    After that is done, do all the cleaning again.I know, its monotonous..but you've gotta do it. Toss stuffed animals/babydolls that you guys could really live without and bag up the rest...but spray themdown with lysol before putting them into the bag. Tie TIGHT and DO NOT open for 2 weeks.If you can do without pillows, toss them or bag those just as the stuffed animals. Matresses.vacume,spray with lysol, both sides.Couches,curtains..anything.You know the drill.
    Now..the downside to the vaseline. It wont fully wash out of your hair for about 2 weeks.Use Dawn soap to wash.Just wear a bandana or a hat.It sucks..but it does work, non chemical and it givesyour house enough time for the lice to die
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 1:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Put baby oil in the hair let it set for several hours. Comb comb comb comb lol Have an exterminator come out. also everyone needs to be treated at the same time. That is very important.
    crazy_mum

Answer by crazy_mum at 1:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:28 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• there also could be an outbreak at their school & your kids keep getting reinfested.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:29 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• I agree w/ the previous posters, while treating your family, you need to treat your home, furniture, beds, stuffed animals, etc. then treat again in 7days.

Ive heard rave reviews about the Fairy Tales Hair care products for kids & lice prevention. Here is the link:

http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 1:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• OH I also wanted to add that the Fairy Tale Products I mentioned are organic & smell great. No horrible chemicals or odor.
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 1:34 PM on Aug. 25, 2010