what does low placenta mean?

I went to the doctor this morning and had an ultrasound...i am having a girl :) I am 23 weeks along...well the doctor said that my placenta was low, so they are doing another ultrasound in 4 weeks to check it again...i asked him was it something that i needed to be concerned about and he said no...has anybody else ever had a low placenta during pregnancy..??

CarolinaMom2006

Asked by CarolinaMom2006 at 1:21 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Unless it covers or partially covers the cervix it shouldn't be a huge concern until delivery. most of the time it will move up as you get further along. No need to be concerned unless your doctor is.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:24 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• He didn't seem very concerned...and i just read up on it online...so if it's still low by the time i get ready to give birth...i will hafta have a c-section..??
    CarolinaMom2006

Comment by CarolinaMom2006 (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Not necessarily. Babies can still be delivered vaginally with low lying placenta. It's a good thing to be aware of though. Like I said chances are it will move up. If it doesn't your OB will advise you of the options.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 1:30 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• oh ok, thanks! :)
    CarolinaMom2006

Comment by CarolinaMom2006 (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Ok low placenta & placenta previa (which is what I have) are different I think! With placenta previa it is covering part of where the baby comes out, but usually it moves out of the way, like mine is doing, thank God! Now with the low placenta...did he tell you it is covering any percent of your cervix up? Bc when my OB called me and told me she called mine previa and to not have sex until we check again during third trimester...which I had an ultrasound the other day and it is moving up and just a small portion is still covering. I hope everything goes well for you hun!
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 1:52 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• nope, he didn't tell me anything like that...he just said that i shouldnt be concerned...but like i said...i go back in 4 weeks for another ultrasound and they are gonna check it again...im not really concerned....and i found out i was having a girl today, sooo im super excited about that..!! :)
    CarolinaMom2006

Comment by CarolinaMom2006 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Read the second section here http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasound.asp 4000 women scanned. 250 with placenta previa at 16 - 20 weeks, only 4 still had it at term.  No point in doing another check in 4 weeks, wait until you are due.  Read the other stuff about the questionable usefulness of ultrasound.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 2:41 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thanks for the info..i am gonna go read it...but i hafta go back in 4 weeks...he makes the appts...i dont...lol..and they wanna check it out to see if it has moved up...
    CarolinaMom2006

Comment by CarolinaMom2006 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• Aww Congrats on having a little girl! :)
    ProudMommyOH3

Answer by ProudMommyOH3 at 4:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• thanks!! (:
    CarolinaMom2006

Comment by CarolinaMom2006 (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Aug. 25, 2010