Have any of your kids been REALLY afraid of thunderstorms?

I don't know why, but my oldest DD always was when she was small. As soon as a storm started I'd hear her scream. I'd go in and lay with her, and she would actually be trembling. To this day even w/4 kids she's still afraid, but she hides it for the sake of her kids. My other 2 kids never seemed to have that problem.

MyAngel003

Asked by MyAngel003 at 1:25 PM on Aug. 25, 2010 in General Parenting

• mine were until we started making a game of the storms. We say God is bowling and when it thunders we cheer because he got a strike. Even bought them one of those plastic bowling sets just for thunderstorms to play along.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 1:27 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• my dd is terrified of them...she shakes any time she hears one start up. she's only 2, but at one point, i had to take her in to the closet just to get her to calm down.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 1:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• is it just thunderstorms or high energy noises..
    cause i noticed that my 5yr old did this..an i thought it was just thunderstorms til i talk to the doc an he started asking me bout other sounds an found out my son had a sensory issues that made him do that...
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 2:55 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• All my kids are scared but nothing out of the ordinary except my oldest. She's 10 and has anxiety issues and is terrified of storms. If the sky even turns a little dark she is freaking out and wanting to know if there is a tornado. If it is raining (even just sprinkling) she is worrying about flooding even when we lived no where near a body of water. A month or so ago we had a small storm go over us. There was some lightening and thunder and a bunch of rain and wind but it wasn't really bad. The younger 3 kids (8, 7 and 4) sat on our big front porch and watched it with their friend. The 10 sat in a little ball in the living room (where me and hubby were) and cried while clutching her blanket and kept asking if there was going to be a tornado even though we kept telling her no. She didn't relax until the storm was completely over.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:13 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• A friends DD was that way and she had to take medication for it but her's wasn't just thunderstorms it could be triggered by a cloudy day.

My one son was afraid of almost any weather pattern and would always assume the worst. He's 9 now and it has only been the last year or so that he doesn't panic anymore. Thankfully this weekend when we had a huge wind storm he wasn't here cause a tree fell on our house. I can imagine his fear intensifying had he been here.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 4:31 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• My son has never experienced a thunderstorm :( I'm honestly not sure what his reaction would be. I don't think it would scare him but I can't really say.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:26 PM on Aug. 25, 2010

• yes my ds is
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 3:05 PM on Aug. 25, 2010