Does your child freek out when you drop them off at daycare

I just finallly put my daughter in daycare after she was home with my grandmother sense birth.She freeks out when i drop her off but she is always happy when she is picked up.She seems to be doing well there.She does crafts and is starting to count in spanish.I am just wondering if it will always be like that or if it will eventually stop.It makes me feel so guilty.Thanks for your answers.Oh she is 2

kellyandliz

Asked by kellyandliz at 1:14 PM on Oct. 9, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 100% normal :)
    One tip I was given, that I think is great, is: don't sneak out. Tell them you love them, kiss them goodbye and tell them you will see them later. If they cry, they cry, it usually stops right after you are no longer visible. It is better than you just 'disappearing'. Seems to work for us. :)
    ProudSingleMum

Answer by ProudSingleMum at 9:28 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I use to work in a daycare, and there were little kids that had been there since they were 3 months old who still threw temper tantrums when their parents dropped them off. they just dont want to be without mommy or daddy. once you leave she is fine. what we use to do with the kids who always had a problem leaving their parents. we would have their parents bring in a special toy or picture that they would get once they got to the daycare. it seemed to help out a lot. Dont feel guilty... its just another way of her telling you that she loves you sooo much!!!
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 1:18 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• aww ok that makes me feel better.Thanks for the idea.
    kellyandliz

Answer by kellyandliz at 1:19 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Yep thats how it works... Jesse hasnt ever really cried before though... Plus she maybe just feeling some seperation issues... Dont worry mama it will get better...
    HottMamaRossx2

Answer by HottMamaRossx2 at 1:59 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• I run a preschool and there have been a lot of children that cried for a week when their parents dropped them off. They normally stop crying after a few minutes. However, you have to think of the teachers that you are leaving them with and if they would be consoling your child and helping them to keep their mind off things. If your child is crying for over a month I would definitely consider switching centres or providers. I am also the mother of an 18 month old and its heart breaking to see them cry when you leave. Good luck

sleepymommaof2

Answer by sleepymommaof2 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Should I feel bad that my 16 month old never cried. She's been going since she was 3 months. She got so attached to the teacher that as she got older and was now able to do more things, she sometimes didn't want to leave the daycare. Here I was worried about her staying for long hrs and not knowing if everything was ok, but I guess everything was ok after all. Whenever I droped her off, she would run to the teacher. They adore her like if was their own. I love them for that.
    becky615

Answer by becky615 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• If she's happy when you get there, I would say there's nothing to worry about. Now, if she was upset still when you got there, that would make me think there's a problem of some sort. Just give her a little time to get used to it. It's a big change.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:08 PM on Oct. 9, 2008

• Thanks for all the advice.I am hoping that it gets better.It is hard because I think the lady is doing a very good job with her but she is from equador so her english is not that great,and my spanish is awful.I just wish we could communicate more.I was thinking of checking out a few other places.

kellyandliz

Answer by kellyandliz at 4:25 PM on Oct. 9, 2008